• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Latest Purchases

Guest Kheldar

My wide angle eyepiece affliction started when I was about 10 years old. After using Huyghenian, Ramsden, Orthoscopic and Kellner eyepieces with apparent fields of view between 35 and 45 degrees, I started reading about Erfles. Long before Televue, these were exotic widefield eyepieces with incredibly massive apparent fields of between 60 and 70 degrees! 

Couldn't resist this oldish lightweight 2" 70 degree Erfle that was going nice and cheap for my collection. :)

Erfle.jpg?raw=1

• Like 1

I had a great day out in lovely weather in the wilds of Big Moor and Froggatt Edge in Derbyshire on Wednesday with my binoculars. While scanning around I was amazed and fascinated to see about a dozen deer foraging, and could even hear their low grunts. The deer were a long way off, and I could not make them out very well in the 8x42's. I decided that I needed something more powerful, yet small and lightweight to supplement the binoculars on my next trip.

Got this neat little Praktica zoom 15-45x60 spotting scope that will take up minimal space in my rucksack. Just need to get a lightweight camera tripod for it, as the one I have doesn't pack away small enough. Will try it at night, but not expecting to see much in the dark.

71oGgWzFVWL._SL1500_.jpg?raw=1

Regards the Erfle...

Nice one Pete, if you get the chance to try it, let s know how it performs against some of your modern ep’s. ?

how many lenses does it have

Edited by Smithysteve

It's a 6 element model.

As it has a 32mm focal length, I don't expect it to perform too well in my F5 or shorter scopes, but then I have collected a few unusual eps that won't really work in my scopes. I thoroughly enjoy having them and just get them out now and then to look at them rather than through them, a bit like some people collect stamps. :rolleyes:

It would probably give a very nice view in your F10 LX200 Steve.

Finally got my Berlebach Planet Tripod, meant to be a Xmas present (thanks FLO) but I sweet talked the missus into leting me have it now. This was double packed and just feels and oozes quality, fantastic piece of kit and well chuffed. Have took some photo's with my mount and scope on it and will post later. It came with the DM6 head, double clamps, and both sets of feet. 

ADeJjL.jpg

vOs9HB.jpg

Not being a visual person myself I wouldn't know but that sure looks like an expensive case full. :facepalm:

Looks great though.

21 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

incoming https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/lynx-astro-silicone-power-cable-for-sky-watcher-az-eq5-az-eq6-eq6-r-mounts.html 

power mod for the eq6 next ,i know i could have made a lead a lot cheaper but their build quality is good, ah why not it is christmas 

arrived rather heavy for it`s size :thumbsup:

How do you find the adapter for 1.25 to 2". Considering the 5mm, but will probably go for the es 5.5 to complete the set, of the ones in my price range.

Edited by tuckstar