• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Baader Hyperion Zoom Eyepiece.

Daz Type-R

Hi Guys.

After being spoilt by Kim's ep last Saturday, now looking to get one of these rather than 4-5 different ep's.

A few questions if I may.....

1, Parfocal across the entire zoom range. - does that mean regardless of the magnification you choose, you will not need to re-focus?

2, Includes both 1.25†and 2" barrels - threaded for filters. - does this mean that the ep is a 1.25" but it fits in both the 1.25" and 2" barrels, or does it mean it is a 2" ep that can be reduced down to a 1.25"?

Cheers all.

Guest Kheldar

1. Yes (though Parfocal is often stated and not always entirely accurate. Kim can probably tell you better.)

2. It's a 1.25" EP with an extra wider collar so you can fit it in the 2" holder.

Yes very much so, I was going to get 4-5 of the BST explorer ep's that you suggested a while ago, but though for the same money (or near abouts) I could get the above in one ep!

Hence the Hyperion questions and the counter weight questions, the weight of Kim's ep pushed my scope over the edge!!!

Guest Tweedledum

If the zoom is like my 5mm prime Hyperion, removing the field lens (first element) turns it into a true 2" eyepiece and changes the focal length to a useful 17mm for the SCT. Is that the case with zoom Martyn / Kim?

Guest Kheldar

If the zoom is like my 5mm prime Hyperion, removing the field lens (first element) turns it into a true 2" eyepiece and changes the focal length to a useful 17mm for the SCT. Is that the case with zoom Martyn / Kim?

I am almost certain it's not the case with the zoom.

hyp_clickstopzoom_8X24-L.jpg

Guest Mark Payton

This is my only EP at the moment and it is great, I am looking now for something in the 32mm arena and then I will be sorted (for now).

All correct - it's a 1.25" and you can put a 2" collar on it. You don't need to refocus if the focuser is locked and loaded - just twist the zoom collar for extra mag (works between the click stops too). However if the focuser moves slightly then a small adjustment may be neccessary. The fov narrows a little as you zoom out to 24mm but nothing that has ever worried me. :)

I love this eyepiece! First used it over at kims on a Friday nights observing and fells hay was it, I needed one! Mines on back order with FLO,they are hoping to get some in soon. Easily the best price I could find.

Good choice Daz :)

Ok, it has arrived today and I totally forgot how much it weighed. Would I be best slotting this into the 2" focuser slot as I can change my ep's from 1.25" to 2", would the 2" be a tighter fit? Just a bit worried that it may wobble / fall out if I put it in the 1.25" adapter of my focuser.

Or am I being daft?

The 2" barrel works fine with mine so you should have no worries - but the only advantage is a firmer fit - especially if you hang things like cameras off it. The eypeice is still 1.25" though :)

The 2" barrel works fine with mine so you should have no worries - but the only advantage is a firmer fit - especially if you hang things like cameras off it. The eypeice is still 1.25" though :)

Thanks KIm, I was hoping you would see this post.

Yeah it was the firmness of the fit that I was worried about, constantly touching the EP to zoom in and out, I would of prefered a snug fit that the 2" would of provided.

next daft question, how does it fit?

I have taken the 1.25" attachment off but i cant see where the 2" screws into, does something else have to come off?

Do you have the 2" barrel or the FTR? You can tell them apart cos the 2" barrel has a locking ring on it (much like the 1.25" barrel). The fine tuning ring has no locking ring and is meant to vary the focal length of the single field stop Hyperions. The threads are different.

Sorted it thanks Kim. I hadn't noticed there was another adapter on the ep, removed that and the 2" adapter fitted straight on.

Had first light with the new ep last night, I can't believe how much of a difference it made over the stock ep's.

Jut don't look through any of Kim's televues! I have and that's my basis if comparison now! Like Kim said, I've seen televues far too early in my astronomy days :).

Lol, yeah, I'm not even going there. If I were to spend 3-400 pounds on an ep the wife would kill me, I just managed to get away with £174 worth of Baader!

Really does make a difference eh! I couldn't believe it first time I put the Baader Zoom in our old 150P - it was like a new scope - just suddnely sprang into life. Since then I've been hooked on saving for better ep's :)

• 1 month later...
Guest Space Beagle

This is one of those eyepieces that I look at and think that I really would like one, but then have to be sensible and look at my ep case and realise that I really don't need one!

I know for a fact, that when funds allow, one will appear as if by magic, good grief my will power is useless!

Doc