• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi from Stamford

Guest Clive125

Guest Clive125

Hi evryone,

My name is Clive Kent, I'm 68 years old and live in Stamford, Lincolnshire. I've had a long interest in astronomy ever since i was stationed in Cyprus with the RAF in the early 70's, the skies there were so dark and clear that I just had to buy a telescope. Sadly that was sold on my return to the UK and with a young family my new found hobby fell to the wayside. My interest never faltered though and now i'm retired and widowed I have once again returned to this amazing hobby and now own a 6 inch Evostar with an EQ5 mount. Having still got a lot to learn what better way than to join this forum of fellow East Midlanders.

Clive

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Clive,

Warm welcome to EMS( ;) ).. Thats a great scope you have there. If you have not already done so download a planetarium program try stellarium its great and free, to be found here :-- http://www.stellarium.org/  There are a number of folk from Lincolnshire on the forum, look out for ELAC!  hosted here :-- http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/forum/60-east-lincs-astronomy-club/

Edited by Tweedledum

Hi Clive, I think Damien meant to say a warm welcome to EMS!

I'm glad you never lost your interest in astronomy, it is a fantastic hobby.

We have a couple of dark sky sites, although I bet they won't compare to the Cypriot dark sky!!

Keep an eye on the announcements section for local meets, they can be arranged at short notice, normally at the weekend.

Hope you enjoy the forum.

Hi Clive, welcome to EMS! I am also a member of East Lincs Astro Club (ELAC) and live RAF Cranwell. We have a new dark site we have just found near Horncastle and in less than 3 weeks we are holding an annual star camp (EMS2) near Mablethorpe. Could be a good time to visit and meet fellow astronomers in your area??

Cheers

Ron

Hi Clive a warm welcome to EMS.

A nice scope to be getting along with there, that should keep you out of trouble for a bit.

Enjoy the forum. :)

ELAC would be a perfect group for you to join Clive, they are a friendly bunch of lads and I'm sure you will be made to feel very welcome.

Also welcome to EMS.

Hi and welcome to EMS.

Someone has recently posted about a new group they've started in Northants, not sure how close that would be for you as well as the EMS events. I'll try and find the link. We've also had a fair few members from your area, so have a look around on the forum, you may have so astro-neighbours :)

James

Edited by dawson

Guest Clive125

Hi,

I'd just like to thank you all for the very warm welcome you have extended to me , thank you for the link to the Northants group James I hope to contact Tony later today with reference to that.

As a point of interest do I have to be a paid up member to be able to put myself on the members map as at the moment I can't access the Members Map, Members and hovering my pointer over anyone does nothing and the same goes for being able to contact any member of the Admin Team. Is it me doing something wrong or as I say do I have to be a paid up member to EMS.

Many thanks

Clive

Clive,

I see you have 3 posts, you can do a lot more once you get to 10, I believe all these option will become available to you at that point.

:)

Hi Clive, welcome aboard. You have to make a certain amount of posts before you can access some features such as members map and messaging. Paid membership is for access to the dark sites although first visit is free. I'm sure there is a thread on the welcome forum that explains everything. I'm sure a mod will be along to point you in the right direction.

Hello Clive

Welcome to the group, hope to see you at a meeting some time. Lovely place Stamford, we were there in May (buying a sofa!) :)