• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Voyager 1 has left the Solar System after all!

Tibbz2

"Carrying Earthly greetings on a gold plated phonograph record and still-operational scientific instruments -- including the Low Energy Charged Particle detector designed, built and overseen, in part, by UMD's Space Physics Group -- NASA's Voyager 1 has traveled farther from Earth than any other human-made object. And now, these researchers say, it has begun the first exploration of our galaxy beyond the Sun's influence."

"Swisdak and his colleagues suggest that Voyager 1 actually crossed the heliopause on July 27, 2012."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/08/130815133726.htm

So there's another explanation for the strange readings last Summer!

Edited by Tibbz2

Hmmmmm, I won't fully believe it until ALL scientists agree, they even state this further down the article......

"Their model indicates Voyager 1 actually entered interstellar space a little more than a year ago, a finding directly counter to recent papers by NASA and other scientists suggesting the spacecraft was still in a fuzzily-defined transition zone between the Sun's sphere of influence and the rest of the galaxy.

But why the controversy?"

Until there is NO controversy, I wait!!!!!

It seems to me as though they feel the probe should have crossed a definite line. Surely on that sort of scale, you would see some sort of slow transition?

It seems to me as though they feel the probe should have crossed a definite line. Surely on that sort of scale, you would see some sort of slow transition?

That's what I though, but then again I'm not a particle physicist or anything so there are probably reasons!

Probably waiting for the famous "bump" like the Apollo astronauts supposedly had between the Earth and the Moon... :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I can't remember what i was watching but someone played audio that voyager had apparently recorded from interstellar space and there were a few bumps and things; seemed a bit odd. Maybe someone was trying to get to the emergency chocolate supply or the gold disc.

It's gotta get out there just so that wierd colony of kids on a distant planet can worship it lol :)

On a world called krikkit where no one looks up!!

Edited by tuckstar