• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Laptops outside in the winter.

Guest peepshow

Guest peepshow

Do laptops stand up OK if used outside in winter whilst downloading subs from cameras etc?

Maybe condensation on the screen or keyboard or does internal heat in laptop acts a dew stopper?

I daresay some use a long USB cable and run the laptop from indoors.

Thanks for any suggestions on all this.

Yes they do, but i put mine in a plastic box to stop dew and ice forming on the screen the rest is ok, they do keep somewhat warm.

Also you will need active USB cable if you do a very long run to indoors, over 3 or 5 m i think

Sheila

Yes, I made some holes in a plastic curver box (following Sheila's method) to use the laptop in the field, Ialso have a red screen cover I made to limit white light. If I'm at home, I generally have the laptop in the conservatory or shed or dining room, and have 20m active USB leads.

Outdoors I suspect dew will be a problem, so you need to factor that into account as it may reduce the life of your laptop. I did notice some dew on the keybaord once, but not seen it on the screen. When I noticed dew, I decided it was time to call it a night. You could add a curtain onto the curver box to keep the warmth inside the box when you are not using it.

James

Battery life may also be affected, depending on how cold it gets and the design of the laptop. The energy conversion in Lithium ion batteries is 50% less efficient at 0 degrees C compared to ambient (20 degrees C).

Yes, I made some holes in a plastic curver box (following Sheila's method) to use the laptop in the field, Ialso have a red screen cover I made to limit white light. If I'm at home, I generally have the laptop in the conservatory or shed or dining room, and have 20m active USB leads.

Outdoors I suspect dew will be a problem, so you need to factor that into account as it may reduce the life of your laptop. I did notice some dew on the keybaord once, but not seen it on the screen. When I noticed dew, I decided it was time to call it a night. You could add a curtain onto the curver box to keep the warmth inside the box when you are not using it.

James

some of us have had ice on the screen and inside :o, thats why i got the box,  so far no worries on the dew score.  the box seems to keep it off the screen and the rest of computer

is fairly warm

Guest Kheldar

:o   oh i am soo sorry did not realise you were homeless ;)

Well let's face it, most our of houses look like hovels compared to Whysall Manor! :o How's the North wing extension coming on? Obsy plans firmed up yet? :P

Well let's face it, most our of houses look like hovels compared to Whysall Manor! :o How's the North wing extension coming on? Obsy plans firmed up yet? :P

:( that is not nice, and it was a wreck when we got it..... lots of hard work there :P

And no obsy plans for me

• 6 months later...
Guest ecopley

My laptop is fine outside. The battery lasts longer in the cold than it does inside and the dew on the screen is easily removed with a soft cloth. The inside of the laptop doesn't seem to be affected - I'm guessing the heat from the gubbins inside protects it.

Apollo 13 pc's worked ok and they got a lot wetter  :)

Exert from Nasa Log Apollo 13 (thanks Nasa/small world comms) http://www.sworld.com.au/ 

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/missions/apollo13.html#.Uxr3eD9_tqY

"...Command Module just slowly kept going down in temperature until I think err,
just prior to re-entry ahh, it was down to about 38 degrees. And along with that
there was a, a sort of chilling ahh, coldness. The walls were perspiring, the
windows were completely wet, and it err, it wasn't too healthy. I recall that we
went to get some hot dogs one day and it was like reaching into the freezer for
them, for the food."

"The most remarkable achievement of mission control was quickly developing procedures for powering up the CM after its long, cold sleep. Flight controllers wrote the documents for this innovation in three days, instead of the usual three months. The command module was cold and clammy at the start of power-up. The walls, ceiling, floor, wire harnesses and panels were all covered with droplets of water. It was suspected conditions were the same behind the panels."

But they worked - had to work to use main thrusters on board Command Module

In a nutshell you would be unlucky but taking the above ideas into account increases the odds (luck) of nothing going wrong  :)

You do take back ups don't you  :D