• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

DSLR ideas

dawson

What things can someone image with a simple DSLR (18-76mm lens), a basic tripod, and a 8 inch dobsonian scope?

I've already suggested star trails, but any other ideas?

Thanks.

James

Edited by dawson

Guest foundaplanet

You should be able to get some of the milky way if you do 30 sec exp at 18mm and do a bit of stacking of multiple exp's, and add a few darks in there to. You could always have a go at making a barn door tracker for some longer subs, I seen many good wide field done with one of these.

I have had some reasonable results with a 18mm-55mm lens set on 18 mm, you can get up to 30 seconds on a static tripod before you get and noticeable trailing. As Col has said, Milky Way is a good start. The thing with widefield is just try your kit out, see what it can do. You can just leave it clicking away for 2 or 3 exposures and check the results and adjust accordingly from there.

Guest Ely Ellis

James,

If your wanting to use the scope with the camera, then why not try imaging some double stars.

Exposure settings tend to be quite low so you should be able to use the scope for them.

A lot of the ones I do are around 2 seconds at ISO 400 on a 120mm refractor, you could use a higher ISO and on the 8" reflector you should get your exposures well under 1 second so you shouldn't get any trails.

Give it a try.

Martin