• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

I must not go on fleabay after drinking vino

philjay

Abandon all hope :lol: How many scopes do you have nowadays? :D

Not as many as Kim apparently :-)

The problem is its a Henry Wildey signed objective, my f15 is the same, couldnt stop myself, this ones f11.75 so slightly different :-) honest

Well after a objective strip and clean up, recollimation and a general clean and faff about making things work again I managed an hour last night with the scope.

Star tests were excellent, my day time collimation was only slightly off so a slight tweak of one screw set was required to give nice round intra and extra focus discs.

Stars were nice and round with the classic bullseye effect.

Because the moon was up and just past full I was limited to what I could use the scope on so it was limited to bright objects

My 1st call was a few doubles

Epsilon Lyra @ 90 mag was split into 4 components easily.

Albireo had superb colour (even Fliss who is a muggle had a look at this and remarked on how nice it was)

Epsilon Bootes

Xi Bootes

Alcor Mizar system

All split with consummate ease.

Whilst waiting for the moon to come out of clouds and rise a bit more I had a laugh and tried for a few DSOs

M13, M57, were easy with detail but swamped by the moonlight but I was happy with the detail I saw

Bronchis cluster (Coathanger) excellent in my Celestron X Cell 40mm, just nut enough FOV to get it all in

So onto the moon where it showed great promise. Initially I dint use any filters as I wanted to check CA and there was a little but nowhere near as much as I expected from an F12 achro (I am used to F15 achros). As the moon rose higher and clouds cleared detail started popping out nicely, Rima Petavius was very clear and nicely defined. Due to the atmospherics I kept mag down to 120x and below. CA was well controlled showing a little colour (to my eyes) only on the limb and edges of bright terminator craters.  

The performance was what I expected from a Whildey objective and Im not disappointed. Some say that towards the end of his career, as he got older, quality dropped off, so this was going to be a gamble as 1987 was late in his career but I have to say its a good un.

The performance together with the light weight make this a really good powerful grab and go, The whole set up can be lifted and carted about the garden. So this will get used on the occasions when Im not well enough to maul the heavy F15 about, a nice alternative

I just don't know where Im going to store it though :D

Nice write up Phil. Iam sure there's room somewhere to squirrel away a needy frac, if not I'll look after it for you! :D

After a few tweaks, sprayed the finder satin black to match the main OTA and fitted a Synta Spreader and tray to the tripod to make it a little safer for the scope to avoid its legs slipping on polished surfaces.

Its a nice scope and nice and simple, no faffing with wires, alignment etc, just pick it up, set it down and observe, just what I need after spending too many nights trying to get PHD graphs flat :D

Wildey2.jpg