• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

IR/UV for spc900

Guest foundaplanet

Guest foundaplanet

I have just purchased a spc900 which I hope will be here for wed/thur of this week. I understand that I will be needing a filter. From what I read there is IR and there is IR/UV. The IR from altair is 15 quids the Baarder IR/UV is 43 quids. I also think (but not sure) I have read that the Baarder Neo filter can be used.

Any clues as to which filter would be best for me to order will be welcomed as I would really like to get one ordered today...:)

Thank you..

If you are using the cam for imaging I'd say the Baader, if it's just for guiding then the Altair.

If you are open to suggestions I use the Skywatcher LP filter for both jobs, the 1.25" is about £19. It is almost identical to the more expensive neo filters.

I too had a cheap uv/ir filter before purchasing the baader uv/ir filter and didn't notice any difference between the two apart from the fact that the baader was 20 pounds more and looked nicer. The neo version is not bad for helping cut look and skyglow alittle but as glider says the skywatcher lp filter does much the same for alot less.

Guest foundaplanet

So I will be doing alright if I get the skywatcher lp filter. Sorry if I'm sounding thick but I am...:-)

That would do the IR UV stuff..