• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Which RGB Filter set should I get.

Graham

As the title suggests I am about to dive head first into the world of RGB imaging.

What filter set should I purchase ???

Thanks

Graham

My set was suggested by a well known imager on the forum and I thought I'd be mad to disregard his advice, so i went for a set of astronomik lrgb type 2c filters, not had a lot of chance to use them in all fairness as my ccd camera packed up, but they do seem popular,

Of course they do ha s2 and so on.

Picked up a second hand set for 140 pounds.

Astronomik Type 2c here, no probs with em, although I don't use em that much nowadays for DSO but when I did they are excellent, loads of folk go with Baader its a matter of 6 of one or half dozen of the other I reckon

thank you to all for the input.

I suppose the other burning question I should be asking is whether I go down the RGB route or the narrow band route.

My thinking behind this is I have already spent £100 on the Baader HA filter so do I spend another £150 on the Oiii and the Sii to complete the set or do I spend the £185 on a Baader RGB set.

I have a feeling (well actually I know) I will end up buying all of them in the end but at which end of the spectrum if you will forgive the pun do I start.

More input please. :) :) :)

the target determines which filters you use to a fair extent, you would not use 03 and S2 on galaxies that i know of

Ha is a good choice under moonlight

generally I would say RGB and add the others when you get the chance

I use astronomik 2 as the Baader were not available when I got them all those years ago

the target determines which filters you use to a fair extent, you would not use 03 and S2 on galaxies that i know of

Ha is a good choice under moonlight

generally I would say RGB and add the others when you get the chance

I use astronomik 2 as the Baader were not available when I got them all those years ago

Thanks Steve.

Thats the sort of information I need.

I did not realise you dont use narrow band on galaxies.

Wel that has made the decision a lot easier to make.

Thanks

some do have decent  Ha regions like 31 33 and 82

This is getting more and more complicated by the second :lol:

On the galaxies could I use the HA filter for the L Channel in the LRGB combination or have I got it wrong again. :facepalm:

This is getting more and more complicated by the second :lol:

On the galaxies could I use the HA filter for the L Channel in the LRGB combination or have I got it wrong again. :facepalm:

no you have it about right

ha l r g b

I would say Baader too, mine are really good but bit too pricey.

Sheila

Thanks Sheila.

I think as the HA filter is a Baader I will stick with them.

Dont think I will be getting a set like yours although I can dream ;):lol:

• 1 month later...
Guest ollypenrice

Sorry but using Ha as luminance on galaxies would be disastrous. There is hardly any of it. You get a few blobs from HII regions and the occasional jet if you're lucky. Why use that to illuminate your RGB data? You'd kill it stone dead.

On galaxies I'd add Ha to Red in Blend Mode Lighten, where it will just brighten the red signal in isolated places and highlight the star forming regions or jets.

I try to avoid Ha as luminance even on emission nebulae, though sometimes you have to do so to get the detail out. I'd only use it at a low opacity, though. I'd add Ha to red as above. You can add a bit to blue as well since H Beta is blue and traces pretty well the same gasses as Ha, only fainter.

If you have low LP then LRGB is great and you can add Ha to red. In bad LP narrowband is the way to go.

I prefer Baader to Astronomik having tried both, but it's not a big deal. Astrodons are terribly expensive and while the NB ones are astouniding I didn't, personally, get on with the RGB all that well.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice