• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Campervan microwave

Guest Fluke

Hi All,

I've recently got a 600w microwave for use in the van at EMS2 on EHU.

Now I've got it, it would be nice to use it on the road where EHU might not be available. I'm not very knowledgeable about electrics / electricity but am I right in thinking it wouldn't work plugged into my vans leisure battery without an invertor?

Also I'm sure I've read somewhere that a 600w invertor wouldn't be suitable for use with a microwave and that something more like 1000-1200w invertor would be better which doesn't make sense with my little uneducated mind lol.

Can anyone put me right?

Thanks, Dan

Have a look on the plate at the rear, it will tell you what it needs for input, ie 240v and the wattage, as you say it will be around 1200 watts and will take around 5-6 amps.

Be careful when choosing an  inverter as some can only be used at max output for short bursts, so you might have to get a decent sized one, which will be expensive. This will also give your battery a good work out as well, so keep it charged if you intend to cook regularly.

Edit.

Sorry, no it cannot be connected direct to the battery, it won't work and the ampage available straight from a battery might kill the board, and could be very entertaining for a very short while. I have had a 17mm spanner pretty much vapourised when the vehicle fitter dropped it across the terminals.

Make sure the inverter is fused on the 12v side to prevent any problems occurring.