• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Well I was excited

Streetbob

I decided to set up yesterday evening, the 1st time since April,  even though the forecasts said it would be cloudy.  And happy days it was still clear when i went out to observe @ 9 pm.

I could make out Deneb, Sadr & Albireo (what a beautiful double, the primary a bright orange; secondary a cool blue) clearly through the light pollution and Altair was unmistakeable despite neighbour's lights.  However I wasn't too sure if I had found the open cluster M29 and as there weren't any stars visible in Vulpecula trying to observe M27 seemed a no no.

Fortunately the neighbours decided to have an early night and as I focused on Vega i could now see the remaining stars in Lyra.

I aimed my red dot between beta & gamma Lyra and there it was, a faint circular blur of light.  Yes I had managed to find the Ring Nebula. My first time :)

It was visible all the way through as I stepped up magnification with my Baader Mk III.  

This was my 1st observing session since April and I learned loads.

Well I was excited and I feel it is a good omen for the rest of this observing season.

I tried for M57 from my Belper back garden and the sky was too murky to reveal it's loveliness :(

I don't think I was able to view it in all it's loveliness, but it's obvious ring shape was impressive.