• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Observing Report 3.9.2013

Guest devil74

Guest devil74

Now the nights are starting to draw in I thought I would have a few hours in the back garden. Been getting itchy feet lately so even with having work today I thought I wanted to get out.

I got set up about 8pm...I even put he dew heaters on this time. This was the first time I have given them a proper outing. In attendance was James's 8mm Baader too. Never tried one of these so was eager to get some light through it coupled with the dob.

Went out about 9pm to start getting dark adapted and by 9.30pm the west was fairly dark (in urban terms) so the first target i wanted to visit after seeing it last week was Andromeda. I started with taking the 1.25" nosepiece off the Baader thus giving me a 22.8 focal length in 2" mode. Andromeda was just about above the light pollution. It certainly looked better with the Baader in. It didnt fill the FOV but i suppose given the time and location I couldn't grumble but i was happy just to see it. 

I had set my stall out to see some double stars around the constellation of Pegasus. The first one I visited was Almach and it was easy to split. The pair had a very distinct difference with the primary being a beautiful yellowish and the B star a lovely electric blue. Swapped the EP at this point too to the 1.25" 18mm BST and I have to say the view was pin sharp (certainly in the middle of the FOV- dam good eyepiece for the money and was surprised how well it faired against the double price Baader)...and of course the pair slightly more split.

From Almach I moved south to the 6th magnitude pair 59 Andromadae. Again, what a beautiful pair of white stars. Again I swapped between the Baader and BST to compare the views. Carrying on in the same direction I moved on to Hamal and was quite taken back by how orange this giant is (I didn't think it would be so bright).

Just to the west was of Hamal was Sheratan and this proved impossible to split (apparently it cant be done with an amateur scope) but nevertheless was worth a look. So I decided to have a look 6 Trianguli, lying between Beta Tri and Hamal. Again these were very difficult to split but I think I could just about make out the 2 different colours (though i would like to look again to confirm I did split them).

By now it was probably about 11.30pm and I didnt want to stay much after midnight. So I quickly went back to Andromeda now it was much higher. It did look alot crisper than earlier and filled more of the FOV but by no means filled it. This a one I definitely want to see at Belper or wherever I can get a dark sky.

That visit quickly over I decided to go virtually overhead to Cassiopeia. Had a look on Skysafari and could see the double cluster NGC869 + 884 so this was my next visit. At this point I had the 18mm BST in again. It had the wow factor when i found it (I normally love globular clusters - Daz's fault:)) and i couldn't stop looking at it. There was almost a 3D effect with the main stars against the fainter ones which at the beginning led me to think I need to re-focus or something. Of course I didn't and I was just in awe how beautiful it was. Before I called it a night I quickly changed to the Baader again. The cluster was sharper, the background darker and of course I had a larger FOV which really set the cluster off against the sky around it.

So thats it...a great nights observing...finished about 12.30 and was packed up and in bed for 5...only kidding...1. The dew stuff on its first outing performed admirably, as did the baader. Today I received the 22mm Vixen so that will be for the next session.

Damian

Sounds like an enjoyable and rewarding session. I do like the simplicity of dob set up.

You got to see some nice stuff. I'm making a list of things i want to look at and try and image when i go away next week.

I hope you disn't spill tea on my baader!

Lovely report.

Jd

Nice report, sounds like a great night :)

Sounds like an enjoyable and rewarding session. I do like the simplicity of dob set up.

And that's why you should take yours next week!

Also did NGC 869 and NGC 7789 both of which were stunning as was M102 and M27. I had a chorus of Tawny Owls calling most of the evening as well, finished at 12.30 after a bit of cloud dodging!!

Good report, you will enjoy the dark sky at EMS2 if you are going? :)

Guest devil74
Good report that. I'm keen to read your next report for differences between the baader and vixen.

Yes I cant wait either Tobias...am like a dog with a new bone now. Also managed to pick up a 2 month old 10mm Baader On ABS last night. Mrs is gonna kill me when she gets back :(

Guest devil74
Also did NGC 869 and NGC 7789 both of which were stunning as was M102 and M27. I had a chorus of Tawny Owls calling most of the evening as well, finished at 12.30 after a bit of cloud dodging!!

Good report, you will enjoy the dark sky at EMS2 if you are going? :)

Cant make EMS2 unfortunately Ron but I will be at Kelling..cant wait for that. Be nice to put faces to some of these names...or maybe not ;).