• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Just the Soul.

Guest ollypenrice

Guest ollypenrice

I thought I'd spare the Soul it's usual second fiddle role to the Heart by featuring it alone.

Ha, 8 Hrs, Astrodon 3Nm.

O111 6 hours, Baader.

RGB an hour each. 17 Hrs all in over three nights this week using both available Tak FSQ106/Atik 11000 setups.

SOUL%20HaO111RGB%2016HRS%20WEBCROP-M.jpg

Ha to red in blend mode lighten. Lighter applications of O111 to green and blue, same blend mode. Ha and O111 applied partially as luminance as well, which I never like doing but it was the only way to get the detail.

Bigger  http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/i-xZSvW9Q/0/X3/SOUL%20HaO111RGB%2016HRS%20WEBCROP-X3.jpg

Cheers,

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice

Guest ollypenrice

That is some pic Olly.

How long did it take to process.

Thanks Graham.

Erm, maybe six hours? Images with Ha and O111 are always tricky. I tend to get side tracked into experiments with new techniques, etc.

Olly

Guest peepshow

That's just  beautiful.   Forgive my ignorance, but can someone tell what is the Soul and the Heart is of which DSO? 

Whatever it is, bet I won't see it from my garden. :(  

• 1 year later...

In the bottom right corner is Maffei II. :)

This is a barred spiral galaxy about 10 million light years away, in the next nearest galaxy cluster to the Local Group (IC342/Maffei Group).

This galaxy is 99.5% obscured by Milky Way dust and is virtually undetectable in optical telescopes!

The galaxy is about 16th magnitude, but the light is spread out over one third of a degree making it an exceedingly difficult object. Sharpless included it in his 1959 catalog of HII regions as SH2-197, but not until 1968 did Paolo Maffei discover that it was external to the Milky Way.

It is usually only well seen using infrared wavelengths, yet if it were positioned well away from the galactic plane and not obscured by galactic dust it would probably have been one of the brighter members of the Messier catalog!

I thought others might be interested that this interesting and elusive object also appears in this awesome image. :thumbsup:

Hi Damian,

I did say it is rather elusive :) .

Even I need averted vision to see it on my phone screen :D .

On the laptop screen it is small, but visible if you look at Ollys bigger image. The lower right quarter of Maffei II's oval fuzzy patch is cut off by the right edge of the image. It is about one eighth of the way up from the bottom right corner, in exactly the same orientation as the following image and you will see that the foreground star pattern precisely matches Ollys image.

Maffei2.jpg