• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

EMS2 observing report 7.9.2013

Doc

EMS2

6.9.2013 and 7.9.2013

Skywatcher 300P

William Optics 28mm and 16mm eyepieces

O III filter used on the Veil Nebula

Clear skies with little dew build up

What a fantastic weekend, I set up next to Darren (Daz Type R) and on Friday and Saturday night we spent hours touring the sky, I think Darren discovered at least 15 new Messiers and I saw four to add to my total which now stands at 97/110.

I made a list of objects seen as I went along, but I'm sure I have missed a few as well.

M3

M5

M10

M11 Wild Duck Cluster

M12

M13

M16

M17 Omega Cluster

M18

M19

M21

M27 Dumbell Nebula

M29

M31 Andromeda galaxy

M32

M33 Pinwheel galaxy

M34

M36

M37

M38

M39

M51 Whirlpool galaxy

M52

M57 Ring nebula

M63

M81

M82

M92

M94

M101

M106

M107

M110

Double Cluster

Ngc 457 ET cluster

Ngc 281 Pacman 

Ngc 6888 Crescent nebula found by Ibbo.

Veil nebula including both sides and Pickerings triangle in OIII

Jupiter

Uranus

Tried for M30 loads of times with Ibbo but for some reason couldn't find it, very strange as we found other globulars of similar magnitude very easy.

All in all a fantastic weekend of clear skies and great company.

Blimey, you guys were busy. That is one hell of a list. I think I only managed about 4 new objects this weekend, though I probably spent too much time sitting and talking to be fair.

nice list

I found this about M30

and I quote

This cluster can be easily viewed with a pair of 10×50 binoculars

I don't know what went wrong then, maybe aliens abducted M30  :lol:

Good account there Mick - many, many, many thanks for your observing list, at one point on Saturday night I needed a drink and a sit down - I was just blown away (and shattered) by the Messier's we were finding, the setting circle being very, very accurate on both mine and Mick's dobs, enabling us to blast our way through the list.

Yep, just checked my records and I have bagged myself 15 new Messier's over the course of the weekend but also visited (many times) some old favorites.

One of the highlights for me was after listening to Paul Moneys excellent (and slightly bonkers) talk about the 10 most inspiring images to him, the pillars of creation photo was shown, Mick and myself decided to see if we could see it visually :o which I`m gobsmacked to say we did!!!!   M16 in all it's glory, granted it looked nothing like it but for me, the sure size of the thing, the distance etc, was just another (of many) mind blowing instances for me which made up a truly epic weekend.

Top all that with visually seeing the Veil in Mick's dob, finding Uranus in mine and then bagging M42 and M45 for the first time this season.

A truly magnificent weekend with great food, great drink, fantastic company and truly awesome skies, I`m now set for Kelling.

Bring it on!