• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M33 from Saturday night at EMS2

philjay

Contrary to what I have always said that I don't image at star parties I had to have a go on Saturday night.

Here's my 1st run at M33

3 hours of 5 minute subs through the WO FLT98 with MK4 FFR, IDAS light pol filter, Atik 314 OSC 1x1 bin. Guided with homebrew finderguider and qhy5

Stacked in I+, no calib. Processed in PS6 with Noels actions helping a lot

The stars aren't as sharp as I would have liked but I was on the end plot with no shelter apart from the van and the wind kept sending the PHD graph a bit bonkers sometimes. That's the excuses over, hope you like it

m33bsmall.jpg

Nice bright HA regions showing.

Might just be a few subs with star movement that you can route out.

Guest foundaplanet

Great image Phil, it was good to see it as it was happening to.

Thank you very much for sorting out the focuser on the billy o 70..:)

Thanks for the kind words guys, I am well pleased with this and it shows what nice dark skies can do. This was done as the evening progressed when the wind was picking up, there was no wind on the M27 shot and it shows in nice round stars even with longer minute subs.

I tried Focus Magic Motion Blur (thanks Steve) to try and get rid of the oblong stars on another process, it works OK but messes with the galaxy detail so I think I shall leave it at that.

very nice Phil,

do you mind if i sit with you at Kelling ? i might learn something

Hey this was a lucky one mate. I don't think you would learn that much from me but you'd be welcome to sit in and have a laugh especially when it all goes belly up as it frequently does. This and the M27 are the 1st semi decent images I have ever managed at star parties. Computer stuff does my head in at the best of times let alone in a dark strange field.