• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

HEQ5 Pro power plug adapter mod

red dwalf

hi all,

after my problems at EMS2 with the mount deciding to stop tracking just when i`d finally got the camera to work, i was adviced that a power plug on the HEQ5 was rubbish and a power adapter modification might be the best option.

having looked on various websites not totally understand what the adapter were called, i finally found this on Flee bay,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Screw-Locking-DC-Plug-Metal-Panel-Mount-Socket-Locable-Secure-2-1MM-x-5-5MM-/321180029957?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&var=&hash=item4ac7d25405#ht_863wt_904

can i ask those of you with far more knowledge of these things than me if this would do the job properly, looks like it will screw together making a nice tight fit.

many thanks,

Rob

That's the type I used as well, was a bit of a squeeze but all went in OK. These are better than the ones you have linked to Rob as it gets away from the centre pin type jack arrangement, much more secure these

cheers Guys, there were a few simular i found on google and e bay but all seemed to ship from china or somewhere in the far east, i`ll order a couple of these,

what about cable ? will the skytron cable i have be up to the job, it was bought from FLO by me when i purchased the mount as an after market upgrade from the rubbish thin type skywatcher provide.

will the socket fit in the mounts original power position on the front of the unit or do i need to drill the side ? 

Guest Kheldar

cheers Guys, there were a few simular i found on google and e bay but all seemed to ship from china or somewhere in the far east, i`ll order a couple of these,

what about cable ? will the skytron cable i have be up to the job, it was bought from FLO by me when i purchased the mount as an after market upgrade from the rubbish thin type skywatcher provide.

will the socket fit in the mounts original power position on the front of the unit or do i need to drill the side ? 

First up I think the skytron stuff is WAY too thick - you're going to need some 5A figure 8 from Maplin or similar. Only way to verify that though is to snip the skytron cable and see how thick the gauge is.

Now secondly (and I can only talk from an NEQ6 point of view, I've never seen it done on a HEQ5) this mod is NOT supposed to be destructive (apart from the hole you have to drill) - it's additive. You're going to run "extra" leads from the pads on the motherboard to the new socket. Both then work so you have backup if needed.

Here's the NEQ6 guide - http://bendun.net/Images/STARFEST2011/EQ6%20Power%20Plug%20Modification.pdf

I went for 0.75mm2 twin copper, gives a nice cross section. I remember now I tried 1.75 but that was just silly, wouldn't fit in the rear of the pins. You wont get volt drop with 0.75 even if you have 10m of it :)