• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

9/11 12 years on.

cosmic dave

Just watched s documentary on the twin towers falling. What a horrendous day that was, one those events everyone can remember what they where doing when they heard the news. I was on the A50 turning off at east mids airport when I heard the first reports on radio 5. :(

I was working on the renal ward at Peterborough District Hospital.

I just remember feeling confused, unsure if it was real.

James

I was off sick with an injured back for a week - saw it live on TV  as the planes went in and the buildings came down.

I was gobsmacked cos we'd stood on top of the South Tower observation deck only 10mths earlier.......

Guest CodnorPaul

Remember it well - getting ready for work and it came on TV, thought it was a dodgy film at first and couldn't believe it was real for about 10 minutes

I was at work watching it live on one of my monitors, we had an office in the south tower - lost some good people that day...... :(

In the kitchen at the Hanging Gate in Blackbrook. The car park was full, but no staff in the kitchen, and it was dead quiet. So I went into the restaurant, and they were all watching on a TV on the wall. No one spoke.

A surreal and tragic day.

I remember being in the glasshouses where my parents were working at the time, I heard it on the radio but I didn't know what it was all about until I saw it on TV because I was too young to notice what had happened without pictures, however by my parents expressions I could have probably known how bad it was.

I had just got back in after visiting my now late Nana, we'd been to see her to thank her for our wedding gifts from 3 days earlier. It was like a car crash, I couldn't believe what I was seeing, I just could not comprehend what was in front of my eyes. I sat watching for hours as events unfolded. I was shocked, saddened, confused and angered all at the same time. My then brother in law worked for a firm who had an office in one of the towers, only two staff, one was at the dentist that morning so not in, the other had overslept for the first time in a number of years and was late going in, he saw it all happen from his car heading in on the outskirts. Two very lucky folks who then felt a lot of guilt afterwards :(

I was at work. My colleague was talking to a customer who was apologising for the noise because his office had a tv on and a plane had crashed into the WTC. We spent the next hour trying to get online to find out what was happening, but the dial up connection (remember those?) wouldn't connect. The network was swamped. Eventually resorted to using a car radio to get the news. Didn't see any tv until getting home at about 6pm. Just remember spending the entire evening watching the news coverage, open-mouthed. A sad day. Visited ground zero in 2007. What an experience.

In the car on the approach road to O'Hare.

We watched the last plane land and the last leave as they cleared the air.

Drove with the guy giving me a lift into work and watched the second plane hit whilst talking to my Dad on the phone, probably the first person in the UK to know that had happened.

In reverse I knew before we heard in Chicago that the Pentagon had been hit.

Took me 10 days in the Ramada Inn before I got home.

I was on my apprenticeship, milling a pocket into a bolster plate on a mould tool I was working on when I heard on the radio. I wasn't aware of how big the towers were until I got home and saw it on the news. I remember thinking its got to be fake, no one would do something like that.

Guest Tweedledum

My Helpdesk Manager came to my office, she had a phone call from our north amercian service centre in Mississauga, and I watched the second tower being hit. Never forget it.

I remember walking into a friends house and it was on the news just after first plane hit. Honestley took me 5mins before I realised it wasn't a cheap film!

I was walking on Kinder Scout, had a day off to get my head back together after my mothers 1st stroke and hospilisation. I got back to the car and switched the radio on and thought it was a dramatisation of a Tom Clancy novel.

I was working for a long-haul travel company in Nottingham (Travelbag) it was that shops first proper day opening to the general public (Travelbag had been around for a few years I’d even worked for them before in London)

He we all were, new staff, bright eyed waiting for those customers to either phone or walk into the shop to book their holidays

Then the world went to hell in a hand basket

Apart from family members calling to ask about love one out there, we had the complete shutdown of the airspace over the US. I remember not believing what we were being told not being able to get onto BBC news site someone coming into the shop saying that the WTC building had fallen over!!!!

I was off sick with an injured back for a week - saw it live on TV  as the planes went in and the buildings came down.

I was gobsmacked cos we'd stood on top of the South Tower observation deck only 10mths earlier.......

I had a similar episode I was with my “now wife†on the outside observation deck in March 2001 (only just opened  as weather was okay that day) was going around snapping like a madden when my wife said

“Do you really need to take so many photos? We can always come back some day the towers aren’t going anywhere!!!â€

She never queries me now about the number of photos I take!