• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Parallel Mount. Design to production.

Graham

Guest wookie1965

Hi Damian, not possible i am afraid I was banned from SGL a while ago but thanks for the heads up.

Thanks Dave.

Hi Paul. I will be more than happy to make one for your brother as soon as I get it completed. I will be taking this one to Kelling as a demo model for people to look at and have a play with.

If you are going come an give me a look.

Hi Dave , sorry not going to kelling would you beable to make it out of wood, and looking at your pictures looks just what he needs, he has dieseased  vertebrae in his back and neck so tilting his head back causes a lot of pain with this he could just sit in a chair and position them in front of his eyes.

Regards Paul

Guest wookie1965

Hi Dave , sorry not going to kelling would you beable to make it out of wood, and looking at your pictures looks just what he needs, he has dieseased  vertebrae in his back and neck so tilting his head back causes a lot of pain with this he could just sit in a chair and position them in front of his eyes.

Regards Paul

Sorry Graham could not edit my post.

Sorry Graham could not edit my post.

Hi Paul

Wood :o :o :o

The only thing I can make out of wood is fire wood :lol: :lol: :lol:

No Paul I don't do wood mate.

Sorry.

Guest wookie1965

Hi Paul

Wood :o :o :o

The only thing I can make out of wood is fire wood :lol: :lol: :lol:

No Paul I don't do wood mate.

Sorry.

Im like that hopeless i put that on SGL asking for someone make me one and got directed to Sky at nights plans in wood, i cannot saw straight save my life using aluminium how much do think its going to cost i have seen them going for £200+

Im like that hopeless i put that on SGL asking for someone make me one and got directed to Sky at nights plans in wood, i cannot saw straight save my life using aluminium how much do think its going to cost i have seen them going for £200+

I have done a quick estimate and I reckon to be putting them out at £150.00 tops to our members on here.

Maybe even less it depends on how much the grip nuts ect are going to cost me to buy in.

Circa £200.00 on Ebay for the rest of the public.

Thanks

Graham

Guest wookie1965

I have done a quick estimate and I reckon to be putting them out at £150.00 tops to our members on here.

Maybe even less it depends on how much the grip nuts ect are going to cost me to buy in.

Circa £200.00 on Ebay for the rest of the public.

Thanks

Graham

Thank you very much Graham i will let my brother know and i will keep following this thread see how your progressing but up to now looks great.

Had a few ideas about the business end of the p mount in the interests of product development whilst enjoying some whiskey and ginger last night. :) 

Downloaded the free version of Sketch Up this morning and had a go. I don't really know what I am doing with the software, but my very rough attempts (not to scale), give an idea of what I am thinking of. I could not find a way to post these .skp files, so had to snap the laptop screen with the iphone.

Hope these basic drawings are self explanatory.

940.jpg

939.jpg

I think this would allow more precise positioning of the binoculars to the eyes, and provide a much greater freedom of movement to look comfortably at slightly different areas of the sky without needing to move the observing chair. I think that without the extra degree of movement, a crick in the neck would likely result from prolonged use in a sunlounger (starlounger).

I also thought that for bigger bins, it could be advantageous to have short metal "arm" fitted to the bino cradle like you get on a pan and tilt head. This would hopefully reduce chances of loosening the little quarter inch fixing screw where the bins attach to the cradle, which could happen if pushing/pulling on the actual binoculars. Notice from the drawings that for best balance, the centre of gravity of the bins is as near as possible to the cradles altitude axis.

Here is a pic of some typical 25x100s which show the standard chrome plated mounting bracket, which I have tried to depict fitted in the cradle in the first CAD drawing.

skymaster25x100.jpg

Other bins like 15x70s could fit the cradle by attaching one of these.

binocular%20bracket.jpg

Hoping for some comments by Graham and anyone else interested in this.

Pete you cannot post the skp file.

If you click on the left hand menu button and select the export tab from the drop down list you can save it as a 2D JPEG.

If you look at the business end on my original design you will see that the bino mounting plate is on a 360 degree rotatable boss.

I also figure that the Binos will have to sit on top of this plate as they will hit the vertical arm when slewing if they hang below it.

thanks

Graham

Thanks Graham,

I'm pleased there is an easy way to do it. I thought you'd used a third party program to convert the .skp to a .jpg.
I'm going to try and get to grips with the 3D stuff in Sketch Up, it really is a comprehensive package, thanks for putting me on to that.

If you mount the bins above your mounting plate, I would think you would need a counterbalance weight beneath the plate, unless you plan to offset the mounting plate further from the altitude axis than shown to keep the centre of gravity of the bins near to the altitude axis. 25x100s weigh at least 4kg, 20x80s about 2.2kg and 15x70s about 1.4kg. So balance is much more of a problem with the larger ones that also sit further away from the mounting plate.

I can imagine that the 360 degree rotatable boss on your original design would be fine if standing up, but would create some limitations and awkward viewing positions if trying to use it from a reclining chair. In order to move the bins in azimuth, the whole of the parallelogram arm needs to be swung around, if I understand it correctly.

The method I have drawn is a bit more complicated and costly to make, but, I think it would be more convenient to use especially from a recliner or upright chair. I would be happy to pay more to have the extra degrees of movement to provide that comfort and convenience.

If I can master the 3D drawing in Sketch Up I will try and use it to demonstrate more clearly what I mean.

Just trying to throw in some ideas.

Cheers,

Pete.

Edited by petersull

Hi Pete.

Keep throwing them in. :)

You missed the point on mounting them above the plate.

Not only can they be rotated 360 degrees in Dec they can also be rotated 360 degrees in Azi when the frame allows.

• 3 months later...

Did this ever reach production stage Graham?? Still looking for a solution for my 25x100s

Did this ever reach production stage Graham?? Still looking for a solution for my 25x100s

Graham had a good working demo with him at Kelling last year, he mounted a scope on it!

Yeah but since (via pm) he's said he was having problems with producing it and that was some time ago so wondered if he had got to production run stage yet.