• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Uranus (no comments Felix) 15.09.2013

dawson

Blinking hard planet to image! Good to look at visually though if you've not already done so.

These were AVIs I'd taken with my CMOS ZWO camera, on my 180mm Mak (f/15). Firecapture software. AVIs 300-600 seconds at very low frame rates as I had to have the gain and exposure durations quite high as it's relativelt faint (compred to Saturn and Jupiter), so about 2-3 frames per second; about 160x160 frame area.  Stacked in Registax 6. Micro tweak in Registax but nothing else.

I'm not exactly proud of them, but it's a little achievement.

James

uranus_zps154f64e0.jpg

uranus3_zps355d92ed.jpg

uranus2_zpsef683957.jpg

Uranus? Well.......oh I just saw the rest of the title :)

Well done getting it in the chip James! Smashing stuff :)

There's an article in october's astronomy now on imaging uranus, by damian peach. A great image of the planet with some of its moons, though that was taken with a 14" at f/27.... I must try harder!

:)

James

It was quite early and it was relatively low, probably 10pm. So uranus was probably only 30 degrees above the horizon; i'd have to check stellarium. It was a work night and i didn't want to stay up too late, especially as all the kit needs dismantling once observing has ended anyway....

Hmm I may have a go myself once I've got the stuff in the new house (which is now gonna be 1st October!Don't ask!) will probably have to get to wymeswold to get a shot of it what with it being that low.

Stellarium suggests Uranus was 22 degrees above the horizon when I imaged it! I hadn't realized it was quite that low; seeing from my garden wasn't that good that night either, so it gives me hope I might be able to get better results later in the year.

Again, looking at Stellarium, it suggests at 10pm Uranus will be 30 degree above the horizon on 1st October, and nearly 40 degrees above on 1st November then dropping again, so maybe we should plan a Uranus imaging session around that time.

JD

• 2 months later...