• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My Barn door project

Doc

I understand where you are coming from now. By building it at this size it will look very compact and well proportioned, I hope it's still sturdy enough to take the weight of a large Newt.

Positioning the cam and motor on the bottom plate is a good idea and by looking at your plans it would be simple to design a disengage mechanism into the design so to quickly move the cam back to the start position once the limit has been reached.

I like this alot. Is your drawing to plan, all sizes accurate, as I would have thought the diameter of the cam would be larger.

Hi Mick

The drawing is to scale.

The plates are 400mm x 400mm x 20mm thick.

The hinge pin is 20mm in diameter and the blocks carring the hinge pin start off at 50mm x 50mm before rounding off the corners.

This size of cam gives 12 minets of tracking.but it can be made any size, even up to 1 hour plus of tracking.

If I mount this onto a wedge fabricated from 20mm plate and sat it on top of my 8 inch pier I recon it should be able to carry at least a 20 inch newt.

I might even look into running 2 cams, one each side of the plate to balance the loading better.

thanks

Graham

It would be one monster of a mount, as I said very unique and great to look at, can't wait to see the finished article. How much will this cost in parts?

Morning Mick.

The parts will not cost a great deal I recon I could build it for less than £100.00.

It will be the machining that will be the time consuming bit.

I will build one from 10mm plate to start with to check it all works as it should.

Let you know what happens.

Thanks

Graham