• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Getting started with guiding..

Guest foundaplanet

Guest foundaplanet

Hello,

I have been forced to buy a dual rail far sooner than I wasn't going to thanks to Kim... :screwloose:  This now means that I have no option but to start guiding.. :facepalm:

My introduce myself to AP in a sensible and steady way consists of my EQ6, a 1000d with a couple of Sigma lenses mounted on a ball head which is bolted to a dovetail. I have a WO70ED (older version) which will become my guide scope as I am not buying a flattener for it. So I'll plonk both of these on to the side by side and use my SPC900 as a guide camera. I figure that as the camera is mounted on a ball head I should not have a problem with a bright guide star. 

I would like to start out using PHD. I am really crap and, I mean really crap at getting my head around this kind of thing so if anybody can spare some time to tell me what extra lead or cables I am going to need and then probably not mind telling me again I would be very grateful..

Thank you..

:)

Guest foundaplanet

That link has been a great read thanks..:)

I know the WO70 is a bit of an overkill but I already have it.. If once I have had a go at guiding and if I don't find it a blumin headbanging faff or start to fear for my own personal mental health, I may or may not start to think about a flattener... :rolleyes:

The 70 will be fine for guiding, as for overkill well I used to image with a Zs80 strapped on the back of a c11 for guiding, i got lovely accurate guiding with that and no probs finding guide stars.

Using a camera with on camera guide port makes life easier I find, one less cable from the pc, just plug the guide lead from the cam into the mount guide port. I dont use eq mod so not sure how that works with guiding but i just connect the guide cam usb out tobthe netbook running phd, thus there is potentially only one usb lead to connect.

If you are using a dslr with remote release and saving images on card you dont need any more leads.

It can get complicated if you run the cam from the pc as well, more leads.

Guest foundaplanet

Cheers Phil,

I will look at that if taken in more seriously with AP (which I won't of course :facepalm2: )

The spc will have to do for now as my approach is to stumble into it (AP) otherwise my OCD will kick in and I have been doing pretty well with that lately.. My next problem will occur when a flattener for the WO70 appears.. :lol:

I'm guiding with relative success with no more than a spc on the back of my skywatcher finder scope. I can usually find something in the FOV to guide from.

Guest foundaplanet

That is how I will be going for now Mike..;) I just need to get a rj45-rj11 and I think I should be good to go.. Though my dual bar is in the house next door and I haven't seen him all day yet.. :wacko:

Using a camera with on camera guide port makes life easier I find, one less cable from the pc, just plug the guide lead from the cam into the mount guide port. I dont use eq mod so not sure how that works with guiding but i just connect the guide cam usb out tobthe netbook running phd, thus there is potentially only one usb lead to connect.

EQMod removes the cable between guide cam and mount. The only cables in that loop are camera to PC and PC to mount (via EQMod) :)

Guest foundaplanet

EQMod removes the cable between guide cam and mount. The only cables in that loop are camera to PC and PC to mount (via EQMod) :)

Is that complicated and hard to use.. I am not very good with techy stuff and however I start this will be the one I stick with. 

Is that complicated and hard to use.. I am not very good with techy stuff and however I start this will be the one I stick with. 

no it is not.... if i can use it .. anyone can :wacko:  not very geek me :lol:

I can use it, and I struggle with the TV remote, it's not too difficult at all once you get the basics sorted it is quite easy to follow.