• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello, I'm new!

Guest 1alpha9er

Guest 1alpha9er

Hello all,

I normally inhabit the geeky IT forums, was a mod back when Compuserve was real, before it became another version of AOL.

Just joined really as I saw a tweet from David Rothery that the Sky at Night program was ending after Christmas. Think he's since deleted the tweet, but wondered if anyone on here knows anything about this?

Am usually far too busy with work to get out much these days, but since the cut backs in the department we're doing the work of 3.

Anyway, I hope to meet some of you at a meet up, may even remember to bring out the dob from under the covers in the garage.

Alan

Hi Alan, a warm welcome to EMS.

Get your Dob out, and come and meet us at one of the dark sites. We have two, one at Wymeswold, and another up at Belper. You would be very welcome to join in. Keep eye out in the information and announcements section, these can be called,or cancelled at short notice dependant on the weather.

You are in good company here, there's a few fellow geeks, and geekettes.

Enjoy the forum. :)

Hi and welcome.

The S@N won't end that soon. I'm sure it's pretty cheap to make, and has the spin of with the BBC Magazine.

Might see you sometime.

James

Guest 1alpha9er

Hi Alan, a warm welcome to EMS.

Get your Dob out, and come and meet us at one of the dark sites. We have two, one at Wymeswold, and another up at Belper. You would be very welcome to join in. Keep eye out in the information and announcements section, these can be called,or cancelled at short notice dependant on the weather.

You are in good company here, there's a few fellow geeks, and geekettes.

Enjoy the forum. :)

Thanks will keep an eye out, geekettes too, awesome.

Alan

Guest 1alpha9er

Hi and welcome.

The S@N won't end that soon. I'm sure it's pretty cheap to make, and has the spin of with the BBC Magazine.

Might see you sometime.

James

Thanks James, I thought so, but the magazine has been sold off to immediate media in Bristol and David Rothery is an OU astronomer, so possibly working for the show, but he's deleted the tweet I think. Thanks for the welcome,

Alan

Hi Alan and a warm welcome to EMS. :)

The S@N will definitely end in 4.5 million years when the sun goes bang. What happens before then is anyone's guess lol.

Hope to meet you soon and enjoy the forum!

Guest 1alpha9er

Hi Alan and a warm welcome to EMS. :)

The S@N will definitely end in 4.5 million years when the sun goes bang. What happens before then is anyone's guess lol.

Hope to meet you soon and enjoy the forum!

I guess so, there's a lot of scopes in your sig there Kim, what do you use the most these days?

Alan, I don't understand twitter, but can you twit this guy and ask him? Sounds like he would have a better idea than my half-baked guesses :)

James

there's a lot of scopes in your sig there Kim, what do you use the most these days?

Whatever everyone else brings along to star parties mostly :)

JD

Guest 1alpha9er

Alan, I don't understand twitter, but can you twit this guy and ask him? Sounds like he would have a better idea than my half-baked guesses :)

James

I have asked, is partly the reason I joined twitter, and to see what @ProfBrianCox is talking about. Think he realised that he should not have tweeted it out, and deleted the tweet. I'll be sorry to see it go as compared the rest of the drivel that the bbc funds, is worth the licence fee alone.

Hmmm... well over the summer the solar scope has had a good run. I'm taking the 925 and 115 to Kelling so they'll get a good spin for a change. The 100rs and 200p have been used recently - largely cos I got them end of last season and still relatively new to me. :)

Guest 1alpha9er

Welcome to EMS Allan, I hope you have a good stay and please any questions just ask.

Hi Alan welcome to the EMS

Stephen

Hi welcome aboard, get the covers off the scope and well see you at a dark site ;-)

Thank you all very much for the warm welcome. Hope to get to visit a star party / night soon.

Alan