• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Oh bother

dawson

Well, it's life. It's not the first time a SkyWatcher mount has had a failure like this; and I'm sure it won't be the last. It will be resolved.

Worse things happen, and there isn't anything I can do anyway right now. I won't email FLO now as it's not their fault and don't want to send an arsey email.

JD

Managed to gently remove the retained bit this morning as i could grab it with pliers and turn. There was only about 5-10mm of screw in the hole.

I'll see if i can find a suitable replacement today as tonight is looking that it might be clear.

James

Managed to find a bolt at home which fits the hole. There is a stop which prevents it from being screwed in more than 7mm. The temporary bolt is too long and uncomfortable to operate but itms just a holding measure and i hope it's strong enough for the job in hand.

James

That's not good James. I would always tell FLO - they'll use the info to advise other purchasers on potential required upgrades, and may even tell Skywatcher their bolts aren't fit for purpose in the hope of better QA. For yourself - you might get a free upgrade out of it :)

If you want a temporary bolt to be getting on with I bet I can find something.

Pleased you got it out, so if anyone else does this, let me know I have stud extractors.