• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Lunar shot from last night 21/09

oldfruit

I have been waiting and waiting to try the ASI 120MM and last night about midnight the Moon was getting pretty high so I decided to see what I could get. I was so carried away setting up that when I came across this area and started capture I totally forgot to look up which crater it was. :blink: I don`t think the few beers  I had consumed beforehand helped! :)

This was taken with 8 inch Helios newt, ASI120MM, Televue 2x barlow with extension. 750 frames from 1500.Capture22_09_201300_34_11_pipp_g3_b3_ap2

Guest foundaplanet

Nice image Mark. Great focus, the crater is Petavius I reckon.. ;)

Well there was me looking at my map and the Doc comes along and confirms it..:)

Edited by foundaplanet

Crater Petavius is quite easy to name as the rimae is very evident cutting across it.

Just some more info in that it's 107 miles in diameter and 10,000 feet deep with a central peak of 5000 feet

It's rimae is 48 miles long and 1 mile wide and the height is unknown. 

The crater comes form the lower Imbrian period of the moons past and is about 3.8 billion years old.

Looking forwards to seeing this one added to the other 231 images and seeing the whole mosaic.. :thumbsup:

That will be a fair way off yet Col, :D

Guest foundaplanet

That will be a fair way off yet Col, :D

I'll buy you a pint when you've done it.. :lol: actually if you do it I'll buy you two.. :)

Ed: Looking forwards to seeing some Jupiter's..

Edited by foundaplanet

I'll buy you a pint when you've done it.. :lol: actually if you do it I'll buy you two.. :)

Ed: Looking forwards to seeing some Jupiter's..

The whole exercise last night was to try the camera in more favourable conditions. I had only tried it once before and the conditions were pretty dire as the subject was Saturn and it was quite low down (under 20 degrees) over some neighbours roof tops.

Whilst the image on the screen last night was boiling a little, even at 40 degrees elevation, plus the camera set on about 45 fps, I was thankfully able to get a half decent image and my initial impressions of the camera are very good. When the seeing conditions are good I would imagine that this camera would be able to deliver some cracking images...

I`ll take you up on the offer of a pint or two at some point. :P I need to speak to Paul as he has done a few good mosaics.

Guest foundaplanet

Looks like it is going to be a good bit of kit Mark..:)

A pint is always welcomed here :)

I'm still to get a chance to try my spc out. The van being part of the problem along with my nieghbours shrubbery... :censored: Hopefully I get the van back tomorrow and I will be astro mobile again.

Looks like it is going to be a good bit of kit Mark.. :)

A pint is always welcomed here :)

I'm still to get a chance to try my spc out. The van being part of the problem along with my nieghbours shrubbery... :censored: Hopefully I get the van back tomorrow and I will be astro mobile again.

The SPC is a very capable camera Col, and I`m sure you will be knocking out some great images with it in no time. Also it is colour so no faffing with filters, which is something I may have to consider in future as the ASI120MM is a mono cam. More sensitive but I do like colour images.

Rimae's are basically made by tectonic stresses within the moon's crust, the rimae appears after the crust has dropped between the two parallel faults.