• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Horse Head Neb from tonight 28 Sept 2013

Graham

Well I had to stay up until 2am waiting for a clear spell but it was worth it.

I was going to try for M42 in RGB but I decided that Mr Blobby was just too close.

It took me close on an hour to finally locate the Horse.

I just could not see it and kept moving to the nearest star to check my alignment.

Back and forth from where it should be to a star then back then to another star and back.

I should have trusted the gear because it was exactly where it kept telling me it was. :facepalm:

Had to run 600 second subs to bring her out but I think all the frustration was well worth it. :)

GT 81

Atik 314 L

Baader HA filter

15 subs at 600 seconds

Stacked in Maxim

Polished in PS 6.

Horse Head 1.

HORSE-HEAD-NEB-28.09.2013.jpg

Close up of the Head.

HORSE-HEAD-CROPPED.jpg

Close up of the Flame.

FLAME.jpg

Horse Head 2 slightly different processing.

HORSE-HEAD-NEB-2--28.09.2013.jpg

Fantastic shot graham. I love the horsehead. I have not seen it visually myself as I don't have the correct filters. Also (correct me if I am wrong here guys) the horse head is extremely difficult to see visually even with the right filters and good seeing.

Great pictures Graham, I would be seriously chuffed with those results. Well done-now go to bed! I am off skydiving :)

Thank you folks.

Getting both in the same shot was a pure accident, if I had realised at the time I would have moved it over a bit in the frame.

Still there's always tonight. ;) ;) :lol:

Edited by Graham

very nice early HH

try it in negative as well ;)

crank up the sub length for the fainter curtains

H beta is the filter so I'm told and the largest scope you can find with good transparent night,would like to see this visual , could not make it out with 20" at Kielder but have heard reports of visible in 12" dob on a good night

Edited by Ibbo