• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Surprise Surprise

Guest devil74

With having no sproglets at home last night me and jessica decided to have a trip up Matlock as the illuminations were on..only went for the fish and chips tbh.

Anyway I persuaded her to visit Surprise view car park after Matlock..it was about 30 mins drive and really nice through the grounds of Chatsworth..all be it in the pitch black.

Got to surprise view and the sky was absolutely beautiful. The Milky Way streaked over head virtually touching both horizon. There were some other folks there but not quite sure what they were up to???

I quickly set but only got about 30 mins before the clouds started rolling in from the South. Nevertheless got look as some of the usual suspects. The colour through the Vixens is just brilliant..as is the sharpness across the whole fov..definitely worth the extra over the Baaders.

Was just about to pack up when a car with a couple pulled in and they started commenting on the size of the scope, how much it was etc. The bloke commented he had never seen Andromeda let them both take a sneak at that. They seemed like they knew a little but did confuse Cassiopeia for Orion so I'll say no more.

Anyway they had to shoot off and I packed up bur really enjoyed the night.

Damian

Edited by devil74

Nice one damian, often thought of going to surprise view but bit far to look at cloud, if its good I might give it a go one night now were getting dark a bit earlier and longer.

How was the lecture? I didn't get home from work in time:-(

Edited by tuckstar

Yeah that would be cool Andy..I'll defo cone with ya.

The lecture was..very informative and not too technical that it went over your head. The obsy was good, had a chance to look at M57 but then the cloud cover was too thick, think he wanted to show us M13.

I looked for you when I got there. I was left with monkey boy and that nice geezer astro Leigh.

Was gutted I missed it, especially as I had to drive past it to get home, but needed to shower and change before I could of come. Hopefully next time.

You still going to kelling matey? I'll chat to you about surprise view then :-)

Always nice to get a bonus observing session in and a bit of education to some enthusiastic lay-persons. Good night by the sounds of things :)

Sounds like a good night, it might be Jessica will be needing her own scope soon! :D

The fact that the muggles knew something has only got to be good, it shows some interest. Also that you helped out, you never know it might spark the fire.  :thumbsup:

Was gutted I missed it, especially as I had to drive past it to get home, but needed to shower and change before I could of come. Hopefully next time.

You still going to kelling matey? I'll chat to you about surprise view then :-)

Yep i'll be there Thurday matey along with Mr CodnorPaul..cant wait. Be good to have a natter  :)

Always nice to get a bonus observing session in and a bit of education to some enthusiastic lay-persons. Good night by the sounds of things :)

It was sound Felix..we only really went up with the aim of seeing how dark it really was. I tell you what it was dam dark going through the grounds of Chatsworth. I had to pull over and see what the sky was like..turned the car lights off and even without being adapted it was awesome, I was like a kid in a sweet shop lol.

Would defo like to go again especially if you knew it was going to be clear through to early hours. There are great places to set up too at the back of the car park.

Sounds like a good night, it might be Jessica will be needing her own scope soon! :D

The fact that the muggles knew something has only got to be good, it shows some interest. Also that you helped out, you never know it might spark the fire.  :thumbsup:

I hope so Martyn..it is nice when people want to look/know more. When we were walking round Matlock i actually said to Jessica "all these people walking round and they don't realise whats above them"..roll on Stargazing Live for igniting their interest.

Did you notice if the Peak Dark Skies boars was still there?

No i didn't Steve tbh.

Cool matey, I'm going Friday to Monday. I'm in the yellow field but I'll be over for brew, promises to keep ;-)

Edited by tuckstar