• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Alternative to Bob's Knobs!

RonC

Just fitted some secondary adjusters to my 200PDS, I got them from a firm called 'WDS Components Ltd' and saw then on an SGL thread.

They are 8168-227 Thumb Screws and were at straight refit and all for £8 inc postage (arrived next day!)

Collimation took only 5 mins and was so easy? Why don't they fit them as standard instead of those annoying grub screws?

Put a photo in my gallery as it wouldn't upload on here

Edited by Ron Clarke

It wouldn't cost that much for manufacturers to replace the grubscrews with thumbscrews, yours look great by the way.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember Dave JW mentioning some knurled thumb screws from RS components.

I was in there yesterday and had a look, with the ones Dave suggested it required buying some socket head screws, which the knobs fitted onto. However I would have had to have bought a box of them at over £16.

So I found these, RS number 631-9085. They have a female M4 thread, so all I did was cut the top off some M4 screws and added a bit of Araldite to make sure they stayed put. They came in a pack of ten so I have some to sell on, but I haven't any screws. I'll have a look for some A2 stainless M4 threaded bar, that could be cut down to suit.

Let me know if any one would like a set. I'll work out a price to cover material costs.

16022012335.jpg?t=1329412856

I remember Dave JW mentioning some knurled thumb screws from RS components.

I was in there yesterday and had a look, with the ones Dave suggested it required buying some socket head screws, which the knobs fitted onto. However I would have had to have bought a box of them at over £16.

So I found these, RS number 631-9085. They have a female M4 thread, so all I did was cut the top off some M4 screws and added a bit of Araldite to make sure they stayed put. They came in a pack of ten so I have some to sell on, but I haven't any screws. I'll have a look for some A2 stainless M4 threaded bar, that could be cut down to suit.

Let me know if any one would like a set. I'll work out a price to cover material costs.

16022012335.jpg?t=1329412856

Il take a set of ya hands Martyn if you havnt sold them already ?let me know how much :)

Felix

OK, I now have 1.5 metres of M4 stainless threaded bar on the way. So plenty to make knobs from.

Cost price of materials and the VAT works out at £7.86 for a set of three.

This is the knob.

R6319085-01.jpg

OK, I now have 1.5 metres of M4 stainless threaded bar on the way. So plenty to make knobs from.

Cost price of materials and the VAT works out at £7.86 for a set of three.

This is the knob.

R6319085-01.jpg

What a bargain! How do you want me to send you the money Martyn?

Felix

Im up for a set of those, even round it up to a tenner for your hassle

Definitely,I'm with Bryn a tenner it is :).

No worries, any profits go into the club kitty.

I'll give you a shout when I have them made.

Awesome thanks Martyn :)