• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Polaris

Guest CodnorPaul

Guest CodnorPaul

Morning all

I was doing some double star hunting through the cloud last night and got set up fine and go to accuracy was pretty much bang on everywhere except Polaris - it just would not find it.  When I switched my red dot finder on it was almost there but the directional arrows did not seem to move as much as everywhere else in the sky for some reason?

Is this normal (perhaps as it is so close of celestial pole)?

Nothing to worry about Paul.

Perfectly normal.

Your mount is aligned to Polaris so broadly speaking when looking at it you should be able to rotate the mount in RA a full 360 degrees and it will not move in the EP.

Guest CodnorPaul

One further question as well (sorry) - my RA lock isn't very tight, in that I have to really push it to get it to lock properly otherwise it slips (and the lock also slips down when it is unlocked) - can this be tightened up?  The screw on the locking lever doesn't move so that doesn't do it?

It sounds like you may have some grease on the end of the clutch pin / on the mating surface. I had that issue on the eq5. If you undo the screw in the middle of the lever the lever will lift off, then you can unscrew the clutch pin all the way out to check. You can also alter the position of the lever on the pin that way too.

One further question as well (sorry) - my RA lock isn't very tight, in that I have to really push it to get it to lock properly otherwise it slips (and the lock also slips down when it is unlocked) - can this be tightened up?  The screw on the locking lever doesn't move so that doesn't do it?

If your going to Kelling Paul I can have a look at it for you.