• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

What have I missed?

Guest Jezmangasman

Guest Jezmangasman

Ok, so birthday telescope built. Skywatcher 70mmx900mm on an EQ1 mount. Got a T-ring adapter for my Nikon (fits the camera fine as you would expect!). I can attach it to the scope no problem at all, but I cannot figure out how to fit anything in to give any sort of magnification!

Normally I would have the focus tube, eye piece, diagonal mirror, Barlow then another lens e.g. 25 (successfully saw Saturn a while back, may have gotten a little excited) and watch away. But the only way I can find to fit the camera with the T-ring is straight onto the eyepiece on the focus tube leaving no place for any magnification. All manner of permutations seem to have drawn a blank.

Clearly I have missed something. Not entirely sure what it is though! Any wiser folks tell me my obvious error here?

Thanks

Jeremy

Guest foundaplanet

Yep your right. Camera connected to t-adapter and straight into telescope.

Magnification is kind of irrelevant as it works on focal length of scope and the chip size (camera sensor). I think it is telescope focal length divided by the diagonal measurement of the chip if you want to work out the magnification. So to get images of varying sizes you need scopes with different focal lengths and or cameras with different chip sizes..

Hence why astro photography can get extremely expensive...

Guest Jezmangasman

Ah, thanks. Will have a go at something easy (the moon perhaps) and then factor in Christmas present money for more expensive stuff.

You could try baader Hyperion eyepieces. They can be used for photo/visual and you will get many different focal lengths/magnifications. I've got a Nikon t-ring so if we get to the next meet you could try them out if you like.

If you DSLR is attached directly to the telescope with no eye pieces or lenses between, that is called prime focus, as Sheila says, the telescope is providing the 'magnification; your 900mm focal length telescope is mimicking a 900mm telephoto lens. For my 2700mm scope, that is a 2700mm telephoto lens.

As Tobias [the elder] says, the Baader Hyperion eye pieces allow you to screw a ring onto the eye piece and then attach a DSLR on top of the eye piece; afocal DSLR imaging:

http://www.alpineastro.com/Eyepieces_Accessories/Images/Zoom_MKIII_EOS_Med.jpg

James

Edited by dawson