• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Which drivers?

Guest Apophis

Guest Apophis

Hi all,

I've recently downloaded the Cartes du Ciel software with the aim of using my laptop to control my Skywatcher Explorer telescope. I'm guessing I'll need the driver software as well but I haven't a clue what I'll need or where to download it from. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Shane

Hi Shane I along with a great many people use EQMOD

It is a pretty long process to get it loaded with all the bits and pieces it needs to run but well worth it.

Just google EQMOD it will tell you what drivers ect you need to load as you go.

You need to download ascom platform, google ascom platform or look on the eqmod webpage, latest version of ascom platform is 6, then install cartes, you'll also need a hitec eqdir adapter or use the sky watcher handset

Guest Apophis

I've installed the ASCOM suite and selected it in Cartes du Ceil but when I connect my laptop to the mount and ask it to do anything I get an error message 'illegal operation while parked'.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Did you get the drivers for your scope from the ascom site as well? Just a thought cos you'll need them.... :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've installed the ASCOM suite and selected it in Cartes du Ceil but when I connect my laptop to the mount and ask it to do anything I get an error message 'illegal operation while parked'.

EQMod is the sofware that does the work and you need to install that plus the various star & DSO catalogues.

CdC is the pointer that terlls EQMod where to go, EQMod then communicates with the PC via Ascom (think of Ascom as a hub)

Guest Kheldar

You need to unpark the mount - there's a button in the Telescope Control Panel alternatively you can unpark it from the EQMod window that appears