• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

ELAC October Meeting at Badger Farm.

oldfruit

What a night! Whilst we were not at Kelling I think we did ourselves proud tonight and still managed a good turn out and a great observing session.

Firstly thanks to all that attended this evening, pleasure to see you all as always. We did have a good selection of scopes in use tonight.

Well, where do I start?

Having read on one of the other forums recently that Col had been fortunate enough to be able to observe the Crescent Nebula in Cygnus visually, I thought that I would set myself the goal of finding it tonight. I used the 28mm Nirvana with 2 inch O111 filter and positioned the scope on the diamond asterism where the Crescent resides and lo and behold there it was! I had read that it can be difficult visually so I was glad to bag that one tonight.

The sky was good tonight but not great, transparency was good but through the eyepiece nothing looked as sharp as it should. Others commented about this also so I knew it was not just me.

Some new and old targets were seen tonight. Galaxies, Planetary Nebula, Globular clusters, Diffuse Nebula and a couple of planets thrown in too.

After finding the Crescent I pointed the scope to the Veil, the new 2 inch O111 filter worked a treat and a lot of detail was visible with fine wispy filaments visible.

Messiers seen tonight,

M52, M72, M73, M31, M32, M33, M2, M13, M92, M27, M74, M81, M82, M37, M36, M38, M76, M15. M42, M43. 

NGC objects seen tonight,

6503, 6543, 7635, 110, 7009, 6826, 1907, 7331, 1514. Plus one or two others that were found but I forgot to look up the numbers. :facepalm2:

As far as DSO`S go tonight was a great success but for those of us that stayed on until the early hours I think I can say that Jupiter stole the show. We had been observing a Jupiter on and off since it rose but had been waiting for it to rise to a decent height. By about 2am it was getting higher and the seeing had become more steady. The GRS was in transit and during moments of good seeing there was a great amount of detail visible on the disc of the planet. As Jupiter rose higher the seeing seemed to get better still and the amount of detail visible was amazing. Also it is worth noting that the GRS seems to darker? It has been a little bland in the last year or two but this time around it seems to really stand out?

Mars was also rising but was still quite low and also a very small disc. Whilst looking at it I thought at times I could make out hints of darker markings on the bottom of the disc as observed through the scope.

There were a lot of meteors tonight, one or two quite bright ones too. I was informed that the Draconid meteor shower was due and indeed some did come from that way

It was a pleasure to see the Great Orion Nebula (M42) again and it was showing some good detail tonight with the four main Trapezium stars visible, with also the E and F stars seen.

All in all, a very enjoyable evening was had by everyone and the last of us left at about 4.45am this morning.

Hope the skies were clear at Kelling.........

Guest MakkaPakka1

I think your report sums it up nicely that last night was pretty successful. Ticked off several new messiers myself last night, although m33 was being a pain because of the on off hazy cloud. Can't wait until the next meet, and the eveb darker winter skies.

Yes it was a great night again, I think your right about the grs im sure I caught a glimpse of it through pauls scope before I went home. Fantastic report mark.

Guest foundaplanet

Great night again at BF, really enjoyed meeting up again and I'm already looking forwards to the next time. 

Had some breath taking views of Jupiter in the early hours and I agree the GRS is looking more like a Great Red Spot again.

Thanks..:)

Great report Mark, good way to start your birthday!! We got clouded over about 12.30, but got some good sub's in the bag!!

Cheers

Ron

A really good read Mark. Sounds like a wonderful night and I'm really pleased the O111 filter worked well.

I always use mine on the Veil but to be honest I cannot remember using it on the Crescent, will have to next time.

A really good read Mark. Sounds like a wonderful night and I'm really pleased the O111 filter worked well.

I always use mine on the Veil but to be honest I cannot remember using it on the Crescent, will have to next time.

It worked surprisingly well to be honest and I was almost a little disappointed that the challenge that I had set myself was accomplished with such ease. :)

Thanks Paul for your help last night. Enjoyed the evening. Hope to stay long enough to see Saturn, next time.

Guest foundaplanet

It worked surprisingly well to be honest and I was almost a little disappointed that the challenge that I had set myself was accomplished with such ease. :)

You could always try looking for some of those NGC galaxies that are nothing more than a shady shade of grey.. :P

You could always try looking for some of those NGC galaxies that are nothing more than a shady shade of grey.. :P

Funnily enough i have just bought a new RACI finder to help me do exactly that! :P  :D