• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

9 more subs on M31

Guest foundaplanet

Guest foundaplanet

I managed to have my first go at a second go on the same object tonight.. :blink: What I mean is that I took some more shots to add to my Andromeda.. :D

It was a bit of a pain getting the frame framed again but it seems to have done the job and I think it has improved over the last processing.

The image is now a total of 18x5 min subs with 18 bias twelve darks and eleven flats. All unguided with the Canon 1000d (unmod) Sigma lens at 200mm.

It has put a big grin on my face anyway.. I am really enjoying this AP suff at the moment.  I hope you think it has improved, if not please tell me and if anyone has any critic stuff and or tips on processing or anything it will be very welcomed...(10179583415_301bae4144_b.jpgAndromeda-Final-copy-2web by foundaplanet, on Flickr

Looks a bit messy now it's posted with the vinegar in the corners. It does't seem so bad if I click on it though..

Edited by foundaplanet

Guest foundaplanet

Yes Ron, Levels, curves and a bit of saturation. There seems to be more colour in it now but I think I should have taken some more darks to help get rid of that vignetting. I used the ones I had from my last time out. Probably should have taken some more really. I think the stars are looking better but I do get a bit lost in how it's best to process the things..  :D

Guest foundaplanet

I think I have over done it and got carried away looking for lots extra. I wonder if it gets to a point where extra subs only make tiny differences as today this looks way to saturated and not realistic. It's good though, I think i have learn't a bit. I reckon the stars look lots better with the extra subs but the galaxy only shows subtle extra.

So I've run it through PS again and much prefer this one as it seems far more natural to me. The black point on the Levels histogram was well chopped off on the first one.

10188951103_a43eec3451_b.jpgM31 final by foundaplanet, on Flickr

Guest foundaplanet

Thank you Kim..:)

I'm trying to put some effort in on the processing front and learn a bit more about it. There are so many things you seem to be able to do.. I've just done a crop to so here's another one... :lol:

10190068123_6fed379cbd_b.jpgM31 Crop by foundaplanet, on Flickr

The dust lanes stand out even more in the crop - very nice!

We just got our first ever 30 subs of M31 from Kelling and got no idea what to do with them. So you're way ahead of me with the processing already lol. :)

There are many many ways to do it. Youtube is your friend I would suggest as what works for some, may not for others. I do mine in levels and use the grey point eye dropper tool. There are some automated tools for it too that some people find works well for them.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest foundaplanet

Hello...:D I am back with the same old image again... :P

I have been reading a bit about layers and stuff with colours and things so I just had to try it out, no added exposures. I may be pushing it here now I don't know but I have managed to pull out a little bit of red. All in all as well as being pleased with my new approach to imaging. This image has taught me much about processing so all in all I have enjoyed my time with M31. I need to find another target now..:)

10483124505_75199101dd_b.jpgAndromeda-Badger-FarmYet-ag by foundaplanet, on Flickr

Guest foundaplanet

Than you gentlemen...:)

I have been wanting to end up with an image like this for such a long time (like 3yrs). I was reasonably confident I had the data to improve it so just had to keep having a go and I have had so many goes...Lol.. But it has been good to try and good to push myself, and to think it all started again for the better at EMS2...:)

Cheers.. :cheers:

• 1 month later...