• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First Light for ASI120MC

Guest Eddy

13 Pane mosaic of tonights moon with the Celestron c90 and the ASI120MC, each pane best 60% of 1000 frames.

Try ignore the dodgy background colour, i've had to fill bits of it in to complete the picture, i'll probably redo it and spend more time blending it.

I'm fairly pleased with it, it's the first full mosaic i've managed, although I definitely think a different phase could have produced a much better image.

Click image to get full res or click here http://zoom.it/nnUe

Moon-16-10-2013.jpg

Oh Eddy that is smashing! Really impressive. It's not true what everyone says about you :)

No hoenstly, great work.

James

love that Eddy! I am being more swayed towards the ASI120MC with every image I see from them!

Nice mosaic and a good indicator of the capabilities of the camera. You may or not be aware that unlike the webcams that need the gain to be as low as possible, the asi 120 cameras actually produce better results with the gain set to about 75%.

Thanks for the comments :)

Didn't know what settings to use Mark :) I just adjusted the exposure and that was it, everything else left default :) I just wish I could tease a higher FPS out of it.

If you lower the area of the chip used for capture, ie, instead of using full resolution of 1280 x 960, lower it to 640 x 480 or whatever setting frames the object you are trying to image. The image scale will still be the same but you will just capture less of it. This is especially useful if you are imaging Jupiter etc as all the bigger area of the chip does is to image more of the surrounding sky, if that makes sense? This will allow you to acheive a higher frame rate during capture if you set the fps to maximum.

Edited by oldfruit

I would have used a lower resolution but I wanted to do the mosaic in as little amount of panes as possible, strange thing is when I tested it indoors I could manage about 20-30fps at full resolution.

Mosaics will need the full resoluton yes, i also found that indoors when the laptop was plugged in a higher frame rate was possible than when i had the laptop outside unplugged.

Mosaics will need the full resoluton yes, i also found that indoors when the laptop was plugged in a higher frame rate was possible than when i had the laptop outside unplugged.

I wonder if it could be a power setting on the laptop? Mine is set to warp factor 9 Mr Sulu no matter if it's on power or battery, it wasn't when I got it though. Just a thought?

I wonder if it could be a power setting on the laptop? Mine is set to warp factor 9 Mr Sulu no matter if it's on power or battery, it wasn't when I got it though. Just a thought?

I had wondered that Mike and you are probably right but as I have not been using the whole chip I have still been able to get 35-45 fps during capture when the lap top was not plugged in so have not investigated further.