• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Moon 16/10/2013

catman161

Well it has been ages since I had the scope out, July was the last time I think!! I have been getting very stressed with the house move, decorating, having to fix many things that are bad about the house and it all costing way more money than I want it to! So last night I decided to get the scope out and have a look at the moon. It was, I would say semi-clear last night, a lot of very high haziness with passing transient clouds and quite windy too.

I had all but forgotten how to set the NEQ6 up! I had to look back at guides and even then I forgot to polar align properly which resulted in the target slowly drifting out of frame. I went over what I did and have realised what I did wrong so I will have a revise and get set up a bit quicker next time.

I had real problems with focus last night and it shows in the images I think. Anyway here's a couple of shots from last night. Taken with SPC900 on 2x TV Powermate and 200P on the NEQ6. It has been a while so I am hoping I will get better with more practise. It was nice to get out again and definitely helped me relax once I stopped swearing at the mount when it wouldn't do what I thought it should even though I hadn't set it up well!

10324762306_9d72e75777.jpg
Lunar 16_10_2013 by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

10324762816_3a30bd4592.jpg
Lunar 16_10_2013 2 by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

Nice images Felix, i always had great difficulty getting the settings right for lunar shots with the philips webcam.

Nice felix :) I know the feeling of both forgetting how to setup the neq6(last time i used mine was april according to the handset) and remembering how much of a pain focusing the moon can be.

Surprisingly mine tracked quite well considering i only did what I thought was a rough polar alignment

Thanks guys :)

Yeah eddy mine wasn't too bad but I could tell there was significant drift when I left and then returned to the mount but I was gone a while. When I spend quality time setting it your says with the object as long as it likes but last night I just quickly set up and hardly polar aligned at all compare to what I normally do.

Thanks James :)

The light pollution is way less than inner city Leicester as the street lights get turned off at midnight and in general it is better also as the street lights are not very tall and there aren't as many. The garden has a couple of very talk for trees at the end that aren't inside our boundary which is annoying but I cannot complain it is so much better than our previous place.