• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Repairing an HEQ5. A Warning to all DIY'ers

Graham

Thought I would share this as a warning to all you good people who want to strip down their mounts but do not know quite what they are doing.

A customer sent me his HEQ5 after trying to replace the glue Skywatcher like to call grease.

After slackening off the grub screws on the lower Dec bearing cover he unscrewed it.

Unfortunately he did not realise he should have removed them completely as a safety precaution.

The net result was he wound off the thread from the axis shaft thus all but destroying the mount.

The result.

2013-10-16%2015.19.59.jpg

My solution was to manufacture a threaded collar of the correct thread.

I very carefully machined the damaged thread off the axis shaft.

I then pressed the new threaded collar onto the axis shaft with the aid of some Locktite.

The finished result.

2013-10-17%2018.49.22.jpg

After rebuilding the mount and setting up the backlash he now has a fully serviceable HEQ5 again.

2013-10-17%2022.51.26.jpg

Well recovered Graham. The EQ3 is the same as I found out a few years ago almost to my cost. I realised things weren't undoing as they should have and did a little investigation to find not only the grub screws must be removed but there was one lurking in the RA circle locknut hole, sneaky little blighter that was

Nicely recovered Graham, that was a right mess.

Thanks Martyn. Just a bit. :)

Nice job Graham :) that tripod looks a bit weak for such a mount o_O

Thanks Eddy. The tripod is an old one I have kicking about here.

Nice save :)

What's going on with those float ends?!

Thanks Stephen. He has manual knobs fitted to the float ends so he can use it without power for visual stuff. I have turned up some Aluminium heads to replace the broken plastic ones that were fitted. Going to knurl the outer edge and finish them off over the weekend.

Yes, good work graham. It's a good job no one with an azeq6 does anything that daft! Lol.

:)

Jd

:lol: :lol: :lol:

a warning to all. if it ain`t broke don`t fix it L.O.L.

Too true Rob.

Well recovered Graham. The EQ3 is the same as I found out a few years ago almost to my cost. I realised things weren't undoing as they should have and did a little investigation to find not only the grub screws must be removed but there was one lurking in the RA circle locknut hole, sneaky little blighter that was

Thanks Phil. Yup they do tend to hide things don't they :)

Smashing job Graham - well done! :)

I'll bet he was relieved when you told him you'd saved it.....

Thanks Kim. I think relieved is an under statement.