• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Moon 16/10/13 Helios 6" F8 Refractor

philjay

Not tried this scope on lunar before so had a nice play the other night. Visually it was not bad for an f8 achro but there was colour there but nothing distracting and so I had a rush of blood to the head and banged the Canon 1000d on the end and took 30 subs at 200 asa and absolutely no idea what exposure, I just tweaked the exposure down till it was underexposed on the meter a bit, this usually works well with a stacked final image.  

I forgot about it after I had taken the subs but then thought I would have a laugh and process them expecting an image with tons of false colour but after a little tweaking in PS for contrast and sharpening I got this............................... 

lunar16_10_13bsmall.jpg

Quite pleased with this big cheap scopes performance really, there's a bit of yellow on the bright edges on the terminator craters but its very well controlled I reckon. I was expecting a heck of a lot more but this big old scope just keeps on surprising

Full res image here if you want to walk around https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69947839/EMS%20Pics/lunar16_10_13b.jpg

Hope you like it

Love it, having owned a sky watcher 6 inch refractor I too am surprised that there was not more false colour. Love it. Really nice sharp image. :2thumbsup:

Looks really good. I tried out my bresser on the moon a couple of nights ago. There was a bit of false colour but not to much. When I put in my semi apo filter it pretty much got rid of it all, without adding in any extra colour. Really pleased with that purchase.

Ive only used this scope for visual dso, where apeture counts and ca isnt a problem so never really tried it on lunar and planetary in the year plus that ive had it. I know alot of visual folks swear by them and I can see why. I doubt if it will be used much more for moon and planets though, i have my apo and f15 for them but its nice to know the helios can perform quite well