• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

A few Bird shots..

Guest foundaplanet

Guest foundaplanet

I thought I would post a few of my better efforts at capturing some birds from my week up near Flamborough. I have only recently started doing a bit of bird photography/watching and had a great week up in Yorkshire though a little more sunshine would have been nice.

Due to the high winds early in the week the Gannets had come back to the cliffs at Bempton which was a great sight to see but the fish must have gone the other way as I didn't get to see them diving.

This is a young one..

10400252754_5a1e8cdcde_b.jpgYoung-Gannet-Bempton-Cliff by 10400453553_edc3572564_b.jpgGannets-Bempton-Cliff by 10400465843_1ac1766025_b.jpgOyster-Catchers by 10400471833_ae7d5daa06_b.jpgRedshank by 10400502893_f81ddea368_b.jpgPerigrine-on-Rock-Dove by 10400342826_02ca6ff20b_b.jpgCurlew by 10400293054_6e60fa9ebc_b.jpgYellow-Browed-Warbler-2-Spu by foundaplanet, on Flickr

Beautiful pics Col - I especially like the Perigrine though it is a bit in the distance. Smashing camera and lens there - mind if I ask what you were using?

Guest foundaplanet

Thank you..:)

Beautiful pics Col - I especially like the Perigrine though it is a bit in the distance. Smashing camera and lens there - mind if I ask what you were using?

It's my trusty one and only 1000d with a Sigma 150-500 zoom. I was after a 7D until the van blew up and blew a tad over a grand for me. The lens seems quite good enough but it's best images come from a setting of F8 and higher.. Works very well whe the sun is out. The Peregrine was about a hundred meters away though so very happy to have recorded the moment.

Thanks Col - yes you can wait years to "catch the moment" which is why I particularly liked it. That zoom seems to be doing the job very nicely too - but don't tell Di or she'll want one lol. :)

What do you mean 'here's a Yellow Browed Warbler', people have been travelling up and down the UK to see them!! (Not me though!)  :)

Great Gannet shots and the Peregrine was in the right place at the right time for you!!

Well done Col, plenty more to be had if you are coming to Frampton Marsh on Saturday??

I know Mick (Doc) will enjoy seeing them!

Cheers

Ron

Guest foundaplanet

Thanks Col - yes you can wait years to "catch the moment" which is why I particularly liked it. That zoom seems to be doing the job very nicely too - but don't tell Di or she'll want one lol. :)

Then she should have one... :D;)

Did you catch any fish??

Just a solitary flatty. Had a few whiting the night before at brid off the south pier but nothing startling.. :)

What do you mean 'here's a Yellow Browed Warbler', people have been travelling up and down the UK to see them!! (Not me though!)  :)

Great Gannet shots and the Peregrine was in the right place at the right time for you!!

Well done Col, plenty more to be had if you are coming to Frampton Marsh on Saturday??

I know Mick (Doc) will enjoy seeing them!

Cheers

Ron

Yes.... :D I gather they are not too common but I am new to this. I was looking for the Dusky Warbler but missed it as I did the Bluethroat at Flamborough along with the Pallas's Warbler but I did see the Isabelline Shrike (Daurian).

I hope to get to the Marsh with you yes. What time will you be going..? Are you planning to be there for when the tide is in.. :)

Here are a couple more, a Gannet again and the best bird shot I have ever taken in my 6 months at the hobby.. :D I must have taken 2 or 3 thousand shots this year and the best one is this Dunnock.... :)

10406650385_7f41c261e4_b.jpg

10400759293_f9f85c5948_b.jpgDunnock-Flam-Head by foundaplanet, on Flickr

I may as well add the little Chiffchaff.. ;)

10400486813_4ddd2d2ebb_b.jpgChiffchaff-Flam-wood by foundaplanet, on Flickr

Edited by foundaplanet

More great photo's Col, meeting Mick (who is in Norfolk for the week) at 10.30ish in the car park, low tide is at 4pm I think?

Cheers

Ron