• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Newtonian Pier with adaptor for EQ3,4,5 & HEQ5

philjay

Clearing out again :D

Since getting the newt last year and modding the pier I have used this pier once because I use the newt on my observatory mount mostly. I am trying to gain a bit of space in my observatory again so this has to go.

Its an Orion Optics (UK) pier from the late 90s which came with my 8" newt. I have made an adaptor so it will fit any of the EQ heads from EQ3 to HEQ5 (they all use the same footprint). I have used it to great success with the HEQ5 and a pier extension with altaz Giro 11 head.

It takes down to the tube and legs separate and is sturdy. Height floor to adapter top = 790mm (or 31" in real measurements). Its all aluminium so is nice and light. Has levelling screws on each foot.

I usually assemble the pier and mount (without weights)  in the garage then carry it out into the garden, its so portable.

Now on ebay, sale on here withdrawn

Pier

pier-1.jpg

Adapter

pier2.jpg

With HEQ5 and 8" newt (Newt and Mount are not included in the sale) :D

on-pier.jpg

How easily could the puck thing be changed to make it fit an EQ6/AZEQ6?

How do you screw the mount head onto the top of the pier? Is there an owl hole?

James

Hi James

Im on the big machine now so can type properly

The adaptor fits the EQ3 to HEQ5 mounts as per the title not the EQ6 and I do not know what the Az EQ6 base is like so cannot say but I suspect its the same as the EQ6 therefore it will not fit.  I made the adapter to fit my HEQ5 mount which just so happens to be the same as the EQ3, 4 and 5.

You take the screw from your existing tripod and fit the adaptor to the EQ mount in the same way as you fit the mount to the original tripod then you fit the adaptor and mount to the pier using the screws provided. Of coarse the more industrious types could make a long threaded rod as Steve suggests.

Phil

James

It is a simple matter of making another adapter to fit your mount to this pier.

Not sure if we know anyone that can do that!

I think an eq6 or derivative would be a bit too big for this pier, you really need a 5"-6" diameter pier for one of those mounts, but then you would loose the portability. This is a 4' dia pier and is ideal for eq3 -heq5, that is why I modified it after all :-)

I think an eq6 or derivative would be a bit too big for this pier, you really need a 5"-6" diameter pier for one of those mounts, but then you would loose the portability. This is a 4' dia pier and is ideal for eq3 -heq5, that is why I modified it after all :-)

100mm dia is fine Phil.

That is what I make my portable piers from and you would not believe what has been put on top of them.

As an example --  a 10 inch Newt  :o  :o  :o 

10%20inch%20scope%20on%20mobile%20pier.j