• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

TeleVue Powermate 4.0x 2"

Allan the Plumber

Not sure if I should say anything about this as I'm bound to cross someone or UK customs but.......... :lol:

Just purchased this item from a company in the US Agena Astro Products had a sale on and I bought the TeleVue  Powermate 4x2" from them at an exchange rate plus postage of £205.00................. (Greenwitch Plus postage £285.00)

Ordered in 15th October had 1 phone call from US (didn't put correct email address on doh :facepalm: ) 2 confirmation emails one with final invoice

Well arrived today 22 Oct and got away with out any import charge or VAT,  I thought after reading a few threads that may incur this when it arrived.

Everything looks fine they will also except it returned and will pay postage if any issues as long as this is with in 30 days of receiving item plus a $10 discount on my next order (might be pushing it there)

The only huge problem and possibly the greatest that may effect me continuing with this interest is the idiots printed the valve and cost of item on the box.

and guess who signed for it this morning!!!! :o  :o :o  :o  

WANTED New place to live ( after operation to remove Powermate from body cavity) will be sharing with slight damage OTA, bent weight bar on NEQ6, box of broken lenses and other glass bits.

I'm sooo grounded :facepalm:

Edited by Allan the Plumber

Nicely done there sir, although epic fail on the delivery, should of had it sent to a mates!

Guest Kheldar

Just wait ... it's not unknown of (and quite common to be honest) for the bill to follow along later depending on what service brought it into the UK :)

Just wait ... it's not unknown of (and quite common to be honest) for the bill to follow along later depending on what service brought it into the UK :)

Knew it was too good to be true last time I ordered something from US that had duty I had to pay it before I could collect it from main sorting office

yep i had a bill 3 weeks after a US delivery once :(

Sheila

Ah I see # :o

Can I ask was your purchase from US a large one or comparable price to Powermate

I only ask as I mentioned before the last thing I had from the US I had to pay up front before I could collect it, wondered if this was the same.

Also there was nothing on the item to say duty to pay and there was no evidence of what was being shipped apart from price I only ask as maybe I could of slip through the net :unsure:

Ah I see # :o

Can I ask was your purchase from US a large one or comparable price to Powermate

I only ask as I mentioned before the last thing I had from the US I had to pay up front before I could collect it, wondered if this was the same.

Also there was nothing on the item to say duty to pay and there was no evidence of what was being shipped apart from price I only ask as maybe I could of slip through the net :unsure:

It was less than the powermate and it cost me 20% vat plus import duty and customs charge for the privilege....  what i ordered i could not get here so not so bad.

Guest CodnorPaul

Oh dear Allan - bet that didn't go down well, I have switched all statements online, and strategically lock away receipts - best bet

Good luck with customs...

Oh dear Allan - bet that didn't go down well, I have switched all statements online, and strategically lock away receipts - best bet

Good luck with customs...

Okay that negates part of my PM just sent you've read it :lol:

You could always tell the missus you sold something to pay for it, sometimes works in my house. I think.

Yep I ordered the gopro hero 1 when it first came out from the states and got the import duties bull 7 weeks after it had arrived :(

I notice how import duty doesn't work the other way around. A few years ago I bought a CPU from the states as it was significantly cheaper but by the time that the IR had put taxes on it, it worked out more expensive than buying it in the UK. Just seems that we are stitched up over here all the time with exchange rates and taxes

I must be very fortunate as I don't have problems with Pita about buying things

if I have the money I just do it :D :D :D :D

enjoy the powermate

Edited by Ibbo

Guest devil74

Allan I have ordered loads of stuff from Agena Astro..they are a cracking outfit..and I have never had a customs bill but thats prob because I have it shipped to our company in US and they bung it in with their shipment to us..so I even get free shipping.

I wouldn't worry too much mate.

Damian

If they catch up with you, the amount payable will be £41 for VAT at 20%.

Customs duty on cameras and photography, which astro stuff falls into, is 4.2% of the value, but if this is below £9, which it should just be, they don't charge it.

So put the £41 aside, and if they don't ask for it in the next 6 weeks, buy some more tackle with it :)

Allan I have ordered loads of stuff from Agena Astro..they are a cracking outfit..and I have never had a customs bill but thats prob because I have it shipped to our company in US and they bung it in with their shipment to us..so I even get free shipping.

I wouldn't worry too much mate.

Damian

If I'd know that mate I'd got you to order through your company could of save the worry I'm having about a large man from customs and excise turning up at the front door with a big stick lol

I must be very fortunate as I don't have problems with Pita about buying things

if I have the money I just do it :D :D :D :D

enjoy the powermate

You are a lucky, brave man yeah please clear skies Wednesday night would love to see what the web cam and powermate can do to Jupiter

If they catch up with you, the amount payable will be £41 for VAT at 20%.

Customs duty on cameras and photography, which astro stuff falls into, is 4.2% of the value, but if this is below £9, which it should just be, they don't charge it.

So put the £41 aside, and if they don't ask for it in the next 6 weeks, buy some more tackle with it :)

I did wonder about that Pete, was on CE website and it did mention that some video and camera stuff incurred lower duty but couldn't find anything concerning astromical bit

You are a lucky, brave man yeah please clear skies Wednesday night would love to see what the web cam and powermate can do to Jupiter

She has a hobby as well

rem its a partnership no matter what they tell you

• 3 weeks later...

Great post Allan. The thought of me ordering something like an Ethos from them, only for my wife to take delivery of it ( & see its cost  :o )

fills me with total horror. 

I always play it safe. I'm after a 4x Powermate in the future, but will probably get one from Astrofest. They usually offer some sort of tradeshow discount ;

i think i got a 10% discount on my 2x Powermate, although not as good a saving as yours, better than nowt. I can then sneak it home in my rucksack, undetected,

no questions asked for it to take residence in my (locked) eyepiece case.

Anything bigger than this, well.....i usually say its a society scope (or whatever) and say 'i'm looking after it'  :D

Great post Allan. The thought of me ordering something like an Ethos from them, only for my wife to take delivery of it ( & see its cost  :o )

fills me with total horror. 

I always play it safe. I'm after a 4x Powermate in the future, but will probably get one from Astrofest. They usually offer some sort of tradeshow discount ;

i think i got a 10% discount on my 2x Powermate, although not as good a saving as yours, better than nowt. I can then sneak it home in my rucksack, undetected,

no questions asked for it to take residence in my (locked) eyepiece case.

Anything bigger than this, well.....i usually say its a society scope (or whatever) and say 'i'm looking after it'  :D

Still waiting for the bill from customs :(

Wife can't say anything since my original post she has bought an IPad air and forced me to book tickets £150 to go and see Elton John at the Ice Arena :screwloose:  :screwloose: :screwloose:  

She cant moan at me now all that money she's recently spend I could be on my way to an Atik camera