• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

RGB Imaging with ASI120MM.

oldfruit

Hi all, I hope someone can help? I have just purchased an RGB filter set and am not sure of the capture and process methods used for this sort of imaging.

Before I used a Philips colour webcam. I have replaced it with a ASI120MM but it is a mono cam and I do like the colour images especially of the planets.

Does anyone have any advice pleas or can someone point me in the right direction of a good tutorial. 

Thanks in advance for your help,

Mark.

I have done RGB with the DMK

I do about 45s per filter and do them in RGB order

I use a electric filter wheel and focuser and a flip up mirror so I can find the ******** thing

I focus up and test and run through the sequence a few times before actually capturing any data, its usually the blue that gives me grief

I use firecapture and aim to capture at about 80% on the histogram

hth steve

fuelled up now

I stack each channel in Autostackkert and transfer to Astral image to do wavelets (this can be done in Registax )

I then transfer to PS

do levels on the channels also may use focus magic and or unsharp mask

Copy and paste into a new image and align using nudge command

its not as bad as it sounds

I can show you via skype if you have that or when we meet up again

Steve

final tweaks and post

Wow that is very involved! I think I may upgrade to one of these and will definitely be going or the colour version!

Thanks Steve, it does sound quite a process to go through, but as you say probably not as bad as it sounds. I have always processed either colour or mono images so the RGB process is a new one for me. I am familiar with Autostackkert and Registax and have P.S Elements so should be covered with software. I think the hard part for me will be combining the images to get the final colour image, though that is only because I have not done it before.

Steve, I will send a pm if I am stuck or if I get really stuck I will take you up of your offer of using Skype.

Many thanks for your above suggestions.

Sounds about right to me Steve.

Also find the Blue channel histogram drops right down.

• 2 weeks later...

My next question is, I have a red, green, blue and ir/uv filter. I also have a ir/uv filter in my camera. If I am just using r, g, and blue filters do I need to take out the ir/uv cut filter from my camera?

Thanks,

Mark.

Take out the I/R filter if the RGB filters are I/R blocking if not leave it in.

What filters do you have?

Its all in the name - 

Baader Absorptive RGB Filter Set with UV/IR Cut

You don't need an I/R filter at the same time as using the RGB filters but use the I/R filter from the set on its own for luminance when doing LRGB imaging.