• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Long subs

Guest peepshow

Guest peepshow

I have downloaded Sharpcap and wxAstrocapture and trial version of Nebulosity3

I can now use these OK for long exposures,  but............

Although wx allows exposures in excess of 300sec it only captures in FITS which is not colour :(  which is what I wish to capture in. 

Sharpcap only allows max of 300 secs and Neb max of 600 secs.

I see many DSO's photos where the subs exposure was greater than 600 secs, some up to 1800 sec.

I would like to be abled to try these longer exposure times, so what applications can capture in excess of 300 secs other than Neb, please?

Thanks.

Guest Kheldar

FITS are in colour, you need to debayer them to see the colour - as I'm not familiar with your software I can't help more there I'm afraid

Guest peepshow

Yes, as I understand it Stephen, FITS are colour providing one uses RGB colour filters.

I just have a one shot colour system so wxAstroCapture's FITS will not give me colour. 

SharpCap is splendid for me but does have that very limiting 300 sec maximum exposure time.

Guest Kheldar

Yes, as I understand it Stephen, FITS are colour providing one uses RGB colour filters.

I just have a one shot colour system so wxAstroCapture's FITS will not give me colour. 

SharpCap is splendid for me but does have that very limiting 300 sec maximum exposure time.

No sorry I do not think you are correct there - FITs are whatever the camera is. If the camera is mono then the FIT is mono. If the camera is OSC then the FIT is colour (once debayered!)

Load a single FIT into Nebulosity and hit the Processing / Batch Demosaic + Square Colour option :)

what equipment are you using Richard, for a Canon or a ccd camera you could try Astro photography tool to get subs as long as your camera will hold out,

it also saves as tiff or fits files, i like tiff at the moment, less faffing about

As said, TIFs are a RAW format.

For one shot colour they actually contain the 4 filtered pixels which are combined to make individual colour pixels after they are asigned the correct bayer option in the processing software. This is also the reason Mono cameras are more sensative as they use all their pixels for each filter you stick in front whereas OSC cameras have a permenant filter matrix attached to the sensor.

See here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayer_filter

Edited by andyboy1970

Guest peepshow

Thanks for that guys.....I live and learn. :)

I have a SPC900 LX moded webcam which runs OK on long exposure on all the apps I mentioned.

So I gather that using FITS in wxAstroCapture I will be able to get colour somehow.

I shall try what has been suggested, but I am still looking for LX over 600 secs............

...........Not that the results with an SPC900 LX will be any good,

but just to see what I see, as it were. :)  

Guest Kheldar

I'm digging into this but I have to say I'm a little confused ... Nebulosity has no maximum exposure limit bar what the camera can support I think :blink:

What driver are you using on the SPC?

Guest peepshow

I am using the  driver taken off the CD supplied with the Phillips SPC900.   

On the right of the trial Nebulosity there is a duration selection of 

1, 5 or 10 seconds  and 1, 2, 5, or 10 minutes. 

Maybe it increases if one purchases the full Neb ?

Maybe you have the purchased version, Stephen ?

I must do some learning on FITS and debayering etc........yet another learning curve to climb. 

I'm already part way up so many others. :)

Thanks again.

Guest Kheldar

Umm, look just to the right hand side of the drop down box that says duration - can you see the text box there? Type in the duration you want ... the drop down is just a "quick" way of selecting the time :)

Guest peepshow

O Stephen, isn't it simple when you know how? :)

Thanks for that. 

The author of Neb could have put  'enter '  in that box

and my hills to climb would be a little less steep. :)

There is an exposure box in SharpCap too but unlike Neb,

doesn't seem to allow one to manually enter a value.

Thanks again, though, for Neb solution.