• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Next EP dilemma.

Daz Type-R

Moonlite is the way to go when you start hanging large, heavy and expensive eyepieces of the end.

Soon you will be wanting a bigger scope  :lol:

Don't you start trying to convert me to the dark side :lol:

(I must resist, I must resist.......)

have a nice DSLR you could borrow... just to try you understand :lol:   but the EQ mount needs to be first :thumbsup:

have a nice DSLR you could borrow... just to try you understand :lol:   but the EQ mount needs to be first :thumbsup:

And get rid of the shaving mirror.

Yeah I use the stock focuser with the ethos 13mm and when I try to use the powermate also the focuser can't handle it. Hence why I am looking into a new one :)

Yeah I use the stock focuser with the ethos 13mm and when I try to use the powermate also the focuser can't handle it. Hence why I am looking into a new one :)

Damn, that's on the 200P??

I was going to get the PM first but based on the above I need to get the focuser first?

Does that mean you can't use your Powermate then?

And what do you mean by can't handle it?

(Sorry for all the questions)

Damn, that's on the 200P??

I was going to get the PM first but based on the above I need to get the focuser first?

Does that mean you can't use your Powermate then?

And what do you mean by can't handle it?

(Sorry for all the questions)

Hey Daz I can use it but I have to lock it up other wise it slips (very slowly) you notice doing visual as you have to readjust focus but it's more immediately noticeable when I am webcaming planets which is what I find annoying. You'll be fine to get the PM first as it is useable just more annoying. I tend not to put the ethos into the power mate for too long a period anyway but when you do there is some slip and also sometimes you have to mess with the tensioner a lot to get the focuser to actually mover the draw tube. It's doable just a bit faffy which is why I am looking at a new focuser-and more for the webcam mind if I am honest as the weight on the focuser means it's more did cult for me to get proper focus as it pulls the tube to one side.

Can't be doing with faffing about in the dark, focuser first then me thinks!

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

:)

Personally I don't use any barlows be it normal or powermate. You will notice the difference, the image will be darker. I would save a little more and get the 8E next. Then save a lot and get the 21E.

The 21E, 13E, and 8E makes a fantastic line up.

This way no new focuser as well.

Ooooo, what to do ?

A Moonlight and a Power mate are cheaper than an 8 mm Ethos by £6!!!!

Do I go.....

A ) 21mm, 13mm, 8mm, no power mate, no focuser upgrade?

OR

B ) 21mm, 13mm, 2.5x Power Mate and Moonlight focuser upgrade?

The latter does (in essence) give me 4 EP's with a greater (not by much) magnification range but option A means no faffing swapping EP's and Power Mates.

AAAARRERRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

Edited by Daz Type-R

If you want to do imaging then the Powermate is gonna come in dead useful - but if it's just observing then imho Doc's idea is your best way forward. :)

I say option B (Mics suggestion) as you're not ever going to image with your dob so for pure visual then the 21, 13 and 8mm ethos set covers everything nicely-you won't get better views than that :)

Thanks for all the responses and ideas guys, it has certainly given me something to think about and I have also learned a thing or two about Power Mates while doing my research, so it's all been worth while.

:P

Next purchase an 8mm Ethos then, best get saving!

What is everyone's thoughts on the Tele Vue 6mm Ethos, only 2mm difference to the 8mm, will provide 200x magnification compared to the 150x of the 8mm but is nearly a £100 cheaper. (still has 100 degree FOV).

I would of thought the 6mm would be preferable to the 8mm for observing the planets, just want to check what everyone else thinks as you have been very specific about the 8mm.

Cheers (and sorry for all the questions).

:blush: