• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

PHD issues

Allan the Plumber

Help trying to make the most of this clear night and cant get PHD to work does anyone now a link to get me going again had help last time Kelling but just cant seem to make it work

I followed what I been told but keep getting messages about star saturation and it having problems calebreting each time any help please

Edited by Allan the Plumber

Which version are you running, I remember there was an issue with the star saturation measurement in the early days of that feature?

Go on the yahoo group and get the latest beta.

I had loads of issues until I did the unthinkable...... in the cam dialogue menu under picture I set it to fully automatic. I was shocked that it sorted it in an instant!

I had loads of issues until I did the unthinkable...... in the cam dialogue menu under picture I set it to fully automatic. I was shocked that it sorted it in an instant!

My Cam Dialogue is shaded grey and I cant get into it

erm.......... I think it only opens when the cam is not operating? or else it's the other way round? either way it only works one or the other. if it doesn't work at all I would suggest the software is not working correctly.

Can anyone confirm i'm doing this right

1 click on the camera icon select your make and mod of camera

2 click on telescope icon in my case through Ascom

2a click on the arrow (gathering images)

3 click on a star green box comes up

4 click on the PHD icon this is where either I have star saturation or it goes beyond the magic 25 trying to calibrate

am I doing something wrong

until I click on the PHD icon the brain icon is still greyed out and the cam dialogue is continually greyed out

is there any settings I need to change in the brain icon menu that pops up after 61 attempts to calibrate  also the numbers of frames a second / per second

Last time both Noel and Colin got me going but both of them are very switch onto this software and I know they change a few settings any ideas

Cheers

Just had a look...

Once camera is selected cam dialogue box should be available all of the time. It's the brain that is only active when NOT capturing. Before you press the PHD button just try the cam dialogue button, I can't try it after pressing the PHD button at the minute as I don't have anything set up so it will throw a fit, but it allows me to capture using the inbuilt webcam to confirm the cam dialogue button function.

Just had a look...

Once camera is selected cam dialogue box should be available all of the time. It's the brain that is only active when NOT capturing. Before you press the PHD button just try the cam dialogue button, I can't try it after pressing the PHD button at the minute as I don't have anything set up so it will throw a fit, but it allows me to capture using the inbuilt webcam to confirm the cam dialogue button function.

Ok Mike it appears that ranting works I'm guiding at moment just running a 10min sub on the Heart Neb I still don't have the cam Dialogue box could that be something to do with type of camera I'm using?

Did a 300 sec sub first and didn't have star trails not sure what I did different

if it's just crashed my money is on the power cable to the mount. Mine did that 5 times at EMS2 and caused an awful lot of bad language. It only went out for a split second but it was enough to make PHD crash every time.

if it's just crashed my money is on the power cable to the mount. Mine did that 5 times at EMS2 and caused an awful lot of bad language. It only went out for a split second but it was enough to make PHD crash every time.

No not this time everything else working fine and all into a hub and then into a active USB to laptop I think its the software that came with the camera knew I shouldn't of bought the camera from Kelling :angry:

my 5 is older than yours

download the latest ascom drivers via the QHY site

in phd click the cam and select th qhy ascom drivers

my 5 is older than yours

download the latest ascom drivers via the QHY site

in phd click the cam and select th qhy ascom drivers

Sorry Steve do you mean select the camera in the camera icon tab because that's what ive done each time

yes thats what I mean

are you using the ascom drivers?

I had to also load qvideo I think I remember its called

I have with mine

camera-Ascom (late) driver  click OK

then I get a further box that says proerties and I have to select the qhy5 cmos-OK

then I click the begin looping (3rd icon ) on bottom row

select a star (green box)

then click phd so it will calibrate

if it does not calibrate stop then brain and tick force cali

Thanks Steve I will try that had enough tonight going to use the camera and try and image Jupiter if that fails I wonder if I've got a knacked camera :unsure: