• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

8" F6 Orion UK Newtonian OTA. Sale withdrawn

philjay

Hi folks, after a lot of deliberation I am reshuffling some of my equipment and it is with some regret that this lovely scope has to go. 

Its an Orion UK 8" (200mm) F6 Newtonian from the mid 1990s. Possibly GX200 era but it didn't have any badges on it only the Orion stickers.

When I got it I set about modernising it so here's the list  

• Primary and flat recoated with Hilux coatings by Orion UK in December 2012.
  • Tube flocked
  • Curved secondary holder for reducing diffraction spikes
  • Skywatcher Crayford motorised (variable speed) focuser 2"
  • Primary and secondary collimation screws changed to finger screws so no tools needed
  • Primary cell cooled by 3 12v fans for even and rapid cooling.
  • Digital temperature readout for ambient and primary mirror rear temperature, (it works as well)
  • SW tube rings and dovetail
  • 2 spare Orion UK tube rings, can be used as slip bands
  • SW finder shoe,
  • 2" camera adaptor ring, allows fitting a DSLR with 2" nosepiece into the focuser, provides correct focus travel.

This scope is an excellent performer on DSO and planetary, I upgraded it primarily for planetary imaging at which it works superbly. I don't know what quality the mirror was figured to but OO mirrors at that time were top notch and desired by many.

Im offering it on EMS first for a week before going global on UKABS.

I also have the pier with adapter for an HEQ5 for sale, see my other ad, and I shall throw this in with the scope to anyone that wants both for another £50. Just add mount :)

Here are a few pics, there is also a thread or 2 on this in the equipment and DIY sections which I posted when I got it and was doing the upgrading. Any questions or more pics required just give me a pm or ask on here

Scope - mount not included in sale

with-focuser-2.jpg

Luvly new coating on primary

mirrors-recoated.jpg

Focuser detail

focuser-new.jpg

Rear cell detail with cooling. The three white bobbins/cylinders are feet that allow the scope to be stored standing up without stressing the cell. The 3 cooling fans can be seen as well as the digital readout box on the side of the scope. All collimation screws are brass and gnurled so no tools required, the push screws are made from brass 6mm slot head screws which have been gnurled on the head so you can use fingers or a screw driver. The 3 ali plates are reinforcing plates to relieve any stresses placed on the rear of the cell.

fitted-and-running.jpg

Ta for looking

Phil

If I were in the market for an 8" ota, I would snap this up with the pier before Phil realises he's messed up on the price :)

Some people would be happy to pay that for just a freshly aluminised Orion mirror set, never mind the fact that it has probably been featured on TVs "Pimp My Scope" :)

You've certainly done a really professional looking job on that and included so many innovative and useful features.

Never really thought about having a readout for ambient and mirror temperatures, but it makes a lot of sense to know exactly when the mirror should be giving it's best views. With three fans that won't take too long.

The cell stress reduction and protective feet are useful for safely supporting the ota and avoiding upsetting collimation when setting up or stripping down.

The no tools collimation screws are so convenient.

Thanks for providing me with some excellent ideas for use in future projects.

Brilliant stuff :)

Just a point, the price WILL be going up when advertised elsewhere, this price is for Ems members only for this week, once on ukabs i shall bring this price in line with the ukabs price

The temperature readout is useful, i did it just to see what was happening but i got paranoid expecting to see equal temps all the time, when in actual fact you can still get good views with a few degrees differential.I did consider putting a surface fan on it as well but thought these were enough for an 8". Maybe on a 12 or above a surface fan would be more effective