• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Tycho, Clavius area 02/02/12

philjay

Taken through my 1979 vintage 4" F15 refractor last night using a QHY5 camera normally reserved for guiding. No filters about a minute and a half avi of which 770 frames stacked in Registax.

I must try more lunar through this scope

Phil

Very nice, I was out looking at the Moon last night with the refractor, Rupes Recta stood out like a sore thumb, and also Rima Birt next door to it.

It's amazing how smooth some of the big plains look.

Thanks guys.

Lunar is a neglected area for me but every time I look at it through the Meade or the old F15 I just get lost in the views. This region was particularly well picked out last night with the terminator picking out the detail in Clavius really nicely.

The Wall (Rupes Recta) was really sharp as well amazing to think its not very high but when the shadow is right it stands out like a sore thumb as you say Martyn. For saying it was such a windy day the seeing was quite reasonable.

Its all too easy to forget what a great imaging subject lunar is when your spending hours trying to catch faint nebulosity but I will certainly be giving it a few more goes.

This could do with a bit more time spent on it in registax I reckon, theres still some poor frames in there taking out the definition but I'm still happy with it.

Not bad for an old classic scope eh? I wont say achromat because the image is in black & white :)

Phil

I can look at lunar images and views for ages, I'm just drawn to the detail. I'm crap at naming stuff thought. Fortunately I did recognise Clavius and Tycho.

Very nice Phil. If you do do some more work in registax on it will you re-post so we can see the difference?