• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Early morning M42

tbird

I've not posted much lately so decided to make the effort and have an early start to get M42.

Modded Canon 1100d, Skywatcher 200pds on NEQ6

9 x 30 seconds at iso 400 + darks.

Processed in DSS and photoshop

m42reproc_zps87d4b1d0.jpg

Hi Paul, nice shot.

Now feel free to slap me next time we see each other for what I am about to say and I am by no means any sort of expert at AP (having never ever done it), but is the core blown?

Do you need to do long exposures for the faint stuff and short exposures for the core and then stack the 2 stacks? (does that even make sense ??????)

Any way, feel free to ignore if I am talking rubbish, still think it's a great shot though!

:)

Edited by Daz Type-R

Yes the trapezium is blown out, I've got some shorter subs but even they are over exposed.

My photoshop skills are minimal and not up to combining them anyway 

Nice capture Paul. Certainly a lot of wispy stuff in there.

Are they 30 second subs or 300 seconds??

Edited by oldfruit

The M42 season is upon us then? Nice image for such little data Paul! I wish someone would do a SHORT write up on Layers and combining images in PS, I think

we could all benefit from it?!

Cheers

Ron

I wish someone would do a SHORT write up on Layers and combining images in PS, I think

we could all benefit from it?!

Cheers

Ron

There is a big tutorial on image processing in PS on astronomy shed forum Ron :)

That is amazing given the exposure length. Well done. I don't mind that the core is over exposed, it's just visually impressive and beautiful. It's this sort of image which inspires me to image much more than the wonderful stuff Olly posts; his images are great but his kit is hundreds of times better than mine, as is his seeing, his back, his patience, his computer skills.... :) so i never think "imd love to get images like Olly" but i do think i'd love to get images like this one. Thank's for being inspirational paul.

James

And ron, i'm with you in the photoshop issue, i just don't know where to start. I've watched some online tutorials but it goes in one ear....

James