• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

What to do with SPC cam video

Guest foundaplanet

Guest foundaplanet

I took some video of Jupiter with my spc last night.

I have the video on my desktop but it doesn't drag and drop into registax.

How do I get the video to get into registax to stack.

Thank you

Col

What file format is the video?

Have you tried opening the file from within registax?

How big is the file? If more than 4-5 gig then registax may struggle anyway. Registax 5.1 (i think) copes better with larger files than registax 6.

Can you open the file with other media software?

Have you got that PPP (can't remember it's real name) software, which opens various video file types, and can be used to pre-process your planetary video to sift out the crap frames and also reduce the frame size around your object and subsequently reduce the file size whilst increasing the overall percentage of good data.

James

I use sharpcap to run my toucam as this captures in the right format for registax, which ever format that is. If you run straight through windows it will be the wrong format.

Hi Col, It is quite simple really. Open registax first, click on "select" in the top left corner and a new window will open. Select the folder (ie desktop or my pictures etc) until you find your video and double click it. This should open your video in registax.

Guest foundaplanet

That's all good and sorted now, thanks.

Another question I have is that my capture is 2500 frames and registax always stops at 1700 is that likely to be my laptop power or is there something else any one knows of that could be the reason for this...

Guest foundaplanet

No. It just stops processing at 1700 each time no matter what settings I use. I wonder if it may be my memory on laptop or something.. Or maybe I have a setting wrong.. :blink:

I've just processed an old avi through registax 6.1 and it coped ok with 2500 frames, 875 megabytes.

How big is your file?

James

I just did one with over 8000 frames, and over 2 gig and it worked. Version 6.1

The older version 5.1 or whatever was before 6.1 coped better with bigger files though. Also do you have another computer to try it on? I've found it is more stable and reliable on my desktop than my laptop.

James

Guest foundaplanet

I have just downloaded 6.1 and that seems to have done the trick...:)

Although I also wonder if running adobe ps at the same time was cramming up my memory.. Image is no better but at least it is sorted now...Thank you

:)

I have just downloaded 6.1 and that seems to have done the trick... :)

Although I also wonder if running adobe ps at the same time was cramming up my memory.. Image is no better but at least it is sorted now...Thank you

:)

It could be. 32 bit operating systems also impose a 4GB memory limit on any process too.