• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First Jupiter..4 Nov 2013

Guest foundaplanet

Guest foundaplanet

Well after owning the spc900 for a couple of months I have finally managed a first image with it.

It was taken on my 10" f4.8 newt with a 2x barlow and is a stack of 824/1700. I am going to have another go at stacking with different settings and see what happens. I am pleased with this for a first effort. Not sure which moon it is but I think it may be Ganymede..

Jupiter 4 Nov 2013 copy by foundaplanet, on Flickr">http://10695360444_785003d7f4.jpg Jupiter 4 Nov 2013 copy by foundaplanet, on Flickr

:)

Edited by foundaplanet

Very good first effort Col. Some good banding showing. What capture software did you use?

Struth, that is good. Loads of detail. And impressive given it's your first go. How long in time was the video?

Rotating the planet should be relatively easy during processing so it has the more usual orientation.

For me, the final image is very slightly over processed; it doesn't look "onion ringed" but i prefer a slightly softer finish, but everyone is different and it is still absolutely amazing that you can get such a fantastic image from a terrestrial telescope, looking at a planet nearly a billion kilometres away through out atmosphere! Gob smacking.

Lovely. I hope you are feeling over the moon.

James

Guest foundaplanet

Cheers... :cheers:

Mark I used Sharpcap. I'm not sure what to do with the settings, I think all I altered was gain and exposure.

I'm not sure what settings to use in registax either 5.1, just having another go at it..

Guest foundaplanet

More beers.. :cheers:

I'll give it a read, Mark thanks.

I have just had another play and altered the blue channel... ;) I have also done a special crop for James..:) Quite tidy I reckon James..:)

Jupiter 2 copy by foundaplanet, on Flickr">http://10696521193_9468f0fbf8.jpg Jupiter 2 copy by foundaplanet, on Flickr

I had another go at stacking and it stack 1430, I reckon I went the wrong way with my parameters so I'm doing another one so, expect another installment..:D

Now that is good! :)

I think it looks much more natural.

A bit brighter next time maybe (though that could be down to my iPhone screen).

You should get a colour copy of that made and stick it on the wall at work or in your office/work shop at home, and show it off to as many non-astronomy mates as possible!

James

Guest foundaplanet

Now that is good! :)

I think it looks much more natural.

A bit brighter next time maybe (though that could be down to my iPhone screen).

You should get a colour copy of that made and stick it on the wall at work or in your office/work shop at home, and show it off to as many non-astronomy mates as possible!

James

It is an improvement for sure James and I think you are right about the brightness.. The framing was a neat idea.. :)

I may just run a couple of my latest pics off to staple on my workshop door, good idea..

Edited by foundaplanet

Guest foundaplanet

I have had another go and managed to get 184 @ 93% of my 2500.

I went a little more gentle on the wavelets and used the rgb align in Registax this time..

Jupiter 1 by foundaplanet, on Flickr">http://10731425513_e30086a263.jpg Jupiter 1 by foundaplanet, on Flickr

I think with this being a little brighter it is a tad, just a tad better..:)

Hopefully a clear sky over the weekend will bring a chance to try it out higher in the sky...

I don't think this one looks as crisp to me. Brighter yes, but not so sharp. I am a hard bugger to please I know; I am sorry :)

James

Guest foundaplanet

I think you are right James..:) It has been fun messing around with the files and trying things. Really what I need now is a good night of seeing and to wait until it is higher than 25'.

Thanks to all for the feedback.