• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Flocking material.

Daz Type-R

I know the subject of flocking has been done to death but I am sooo far behind the times it's silly.

My local Wilkos has ran out of the stuff, as has Wilkos on-line, found this on Amazon for only £1 more than what Wilkos were selling it at, is it the correct stuff and how much will I need, 2 rolls?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/d-c-fix%C2%AE-Plastic-adhesive-Velours-348-0005/dp/B005FWUK44

Cheers.

It's looks like it to me Daz. I used 2 rolls on waynes 10", but there is a gap around the bottom - which we can add to later if needed.

I also held it in place with magnets before sticking. :-)

That's the stuff !

One question for others: Am I right in thinking that it's worth spraying water on the inside of the tube while positioning the sticky stuff - Allows you to reposition it slightly??

Any tips appreciated.

Guest devil74

Yeah that's the stuff Daz...mine took just over 2 rolls to do the entire inside, we did James' the other week and that used same. Can of furniture polish is the ultimate tool imo...so easy to get it on without creases.  

Guest devil74

That's the stuff !

One question for others: Am I right in thinking that it's worth spraying water on the inside of the tube while positioning the sticky stuff - Allows you to reposition it slightly??

Any tips appreciated.

Pete I didn't damp the inside of the tube or anything. As a parallel guide for the top (or bottom for that matter) we used the tube joint running down its length. Get the roll in there against the joint (only peeling a couple of inches of backing off to begin with) and start it like that. Once you have that bit stuck use a can of polish or deodorant etc and use that to press it onto the tube. Just peel a few inches of backing off at a time - all the time pressing firmly with the can.

When you start the second roll, again just start by putting the flocking up against the seam of the tube and against the edge of the previous roll (its gets a bit more tricky at this point as your half probably way down the tube etc). One thing that James did was after he'd done each roll he carried on pressing the flocking with the can and you could actually hear where there was a bubble...he just nicked it with a craft knife and pressed it down. We did a cracking job on his tube..no overlap, no creases, no bubbles.

Pete, if you want "D&J Flockers" to do it for you, just say, our prices are very reasonable, and absolutely no mucking about on the job, and no sticking stray bits of flock to one another or passing teenagers.... :)

The can of spray polish is essential, as well as flattening the stuff down, and helping to identify bubbles, the static it creates also pulls up most of the excess fluff. I hoovered mine before attaching the mirror.

Daz, i needed about two and a half rolls for my 10 inches.

James

Go on eBay, you can buy it in 900mm wide. I bought 1m and did the 200p, st80, ed80 and a few odds and ends from that for £9.95 I think it was. Just search for DC Fix Velour. That's the same stuff exactly but on the bigger roll and cheaper.

Awesome, cheers guys!

Damian, James, may call on your expertise when the time comes (if I make a hash of it myself).

A spot, and I do mean a spot of washing up liquid in the water just helps to lubricate the water. Just spray it a little on the back of the vinyl and it helps it slip (just like you did on the setting circle). I did mine in one piece and dry, because I'm brave like that lol.