• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

ST150s first light

Cazz

When we went to Belper on Monday night we took the ST150 and C8. I took this opportunity to compare the views between them and to see which setup suits me the best.

Well, how do I say this, basically my eyes found the fracs image to be too bright, orion gave me arc eye. :-/ Oh the joys of being very light sensitive!!

On a positive note I loved the image quality the frac gave, I'm going to try coloured filters next time to see if these help, but it will defeat the reason to use the frac. The C8 of course has a dimmer view, this 'downside' is in fact a big positive to me. :-)

I also found the C8's fork mount on a wedge much easier to drive with its little easy to reach knobs, and it has the benefit of tracking and the very modern push too technology - which will be useful to me as I can't find things lol.

So in conclusion the frac isn't quite right for me at this moment in time. As my skills improve and I get my eyes and head medication resolved, I'm sure I'll grow into it. In the mean time wayne is going to use it, and I'll have a peak every now and then.

I was a bit disappointed at first as I'd so looked forward to using it, but now I've accepted it's all part of finding what suits, there's no right or wrong in this hobby. :-)

Horses for course Cazz, I'm sure you'll see something in the frac one night that will take your breath away!! Until then enjoy the C8 ! :)

Cheers

Ron

Edited by Ron Clarke

I think it was Kim who said scopes are like cars, and they are good at different conditions. Scopes are like this too, so it's just finding one you get on with.

Try sticking the web cam on the end of it and see where it gets you, it should be a bit easier to get a result from than the C8.

To this day the best view (bar none) of the Veil Nebula was seen one night with my ST 102 that I used to have. I used an O111 filter but the low mag combined with the large field of view was just awesome.

I would say stick with it for a bit. You may be surprised what you discover along the way.

My names Mike and I'm a ST-Hollic. I admit t doing the odd spot of visual from time to time, and I stand by the following comment... The best view of the moon I have had to date was through my old ST80. Get some ND filters and give it another shot, they are a great scope IMO.

I totally agree, it's an awesome scope with loads of amazing views to offer to blow my mind. The problem lays with my very light sensitive eyes which then trigger a migraine. I spend all day avoiding lights or wearing sun glasses, it's a right annoying pain.

Using it with the web cam is also a thought I had, then I thought I'll need a better mount, then I though oh heck, lol.

What's the ND filter?

Neutral or Natural Density, I forget which it is now, but basically they dim the light without altering the hue.

Neutral density.

is the scope objective lens cap the sort with a small hole in it? If it is that dims the brightness well.